• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location services turning off

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've also had this problem ever since I got my Note 8 in November. I just discovered today that it may be a Verizon specific issue, related to the Device Health Check Up that they run weekly. It has a default setting that automatically turns off location services but you can change this setting or turn the autorun feature off on the Device Health Check Up altogether. Here's the link for the steps to manage the setting through Verizon.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206364/

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've also had this problem ever since I got my Note 8 in November. I just discovered today that it may be a Verizon specific issue, related to the Device Health Check Up that they run weekly. It has a default setting that automatically turns off location services but you can change this setting or turn the autorun feature off on the Device Health Check Up altogether. Here's the link for the steps to manage the setting through Verizon.

I hope this helps!

Solved ! I'd never even used that app, but there it was causing mayhem.

It was configured to turn off location and near field contact at 2pm on Mondays. As I posted 17 minutes after that, I suspect it was most likely this.

I've reconfigured it and next will disable the app in the hope that one more useless thing goes away.

Thanks OnePsychLynne!

G

Upvote 0
Solved ! I'd never even used that app, but there it was causing mayhem.

It was configured to turn off location and near field contact at 2pm on Mondays. As I posted 17 minutes after that, I suspect it was most likely this.

I've reconfigured it and next will disable the app in the hope that one more useless thing goes away.

Thanks OnePsychLynne!

G

You're welcome!

Upvote 0
That’s an issue with carrier branded OS—they add in stuff to “help” with battery power and data usage, by turning off certain power intensive apps that can cause issues down stream.

Usually the first thing i ask someone if they have an issue with some app shutting off (or on!) is to ask if they are running any battery savers or power monitoring programs...

Upvote 0
It should also be noted for people coming here after upgrading from older Android phones that this is not the same as GPS being on or off.

Location Services is now an on demand feature that only turns on the required positioning sensors as required by the apps and your settings. You can set it not to use GPS but approximate based on cell tower and wifi to save battery.

If Location Services is off altogether though the next app to require location will (or should if you are not experiencing the above issues) prompt you to turn it on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I hope this helps!

Omg! Thank you!! What a headache. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure it out.

Reactions: OnePsychLynne
Upvote 0
TASKER is the best way to make your location services do what ever the way you want to..after all you are the boss, but most of the times the phones DO behave like is the other way around..and all of this bad acting is due to all the crap these carriers load OUR phones with like a constant reminder where the phones came from like they still own them..

I got into Tasker about a week or so ago and can't still believe all the wonderful things you can do with it..like for instance, you can make your location services to be on just when certain apps are loaded by you, the rest of the times the location is off, because why the hell would you want the location service running 24/7 if you aren't using it..in the midtime is using up battery like there's not tomorrow..

And yes, TASKER is not easy and it can be overwhelming at first..but it's all WORTHWHILE!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones