• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lock button issues

So about a week ago, I managed to do one of the stupidest things of my life, and I let my phone slip out of my pocket and into what was supposed to be a nice relaxing bath. I grabbed it out of the water instantly and dried it off, and it didn't appear to be worse for wear, everything still functioned as normal.

Until today. I needed to turn off the phone and fiddle with the SIM card for reasons that aren't worth going into. When I tried to turn off the phone, I held down the lock button as normal, but nothing happened. The Turn Off/Restart/Airplane mode window wouldn't show up.

The odd thing is that the lock button itself still works to lock/unlock the screen. But the power off screen will not show up, no matter how long I hold down the button.

My main concern is that if the button won't work, if the phone ever turns off I won't be able to turn it back on. Normally I don't turn my phone off, I just use the one battery and charge it via USB. I'm going to try putting my phone in with a dehumidifier for an evening and see if that fixes the problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or offer any other ideas on what to do?

For reference, I'm using an HTC Incredible S. I've had it for a little less than a year, so it would still be under warranty, though obviously any water damage wouldn't be covered.

So about a week ago, I managed to do one of the stupidest things of my life, and I let my phone slip out of my pocket and into what was supposed to be a nice relaxing bath. I grabbed it out of the water instantly and dried it off, and it didn't appear to be worse for wear, everything still functioned as normal.

Until today. I needed to turn off the phone and fiddle with the SIM card for reasons that aren't worth going into. When I tried to turn off the phone, I held down the lock button as normal, but nothing happened. The Turn Off/Restart/Airplane mode window wouldn't show up.

The odd thing is that the lock button itself still works to lock/unlock the screen. But the power off screen will not show up, no matter how long I hold down the button.

My main concern is that if the button won't work, if the phone ever turns off I won't be able to turn it back on. Normally I don't turn my phone off, I just use the one battery and charge it via USB. I'm going to try putting my phone in with a dehumidifier for an evening and see if that fixes the problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or offer any other ideas on what to do?

For reference, I'm using an HTC Incredible S. I've had it for a little less than a year, so it would still be under warranty, though obviously any water damage wouldn't be covered.

Have u try factory reset?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones