1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Lock running apps from the recent apps screen

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RobMorson, Aug 26, 2016.

1. RobMorson

RobMorson Lurker
    Aug 26, 2016

Aug 26, 2016
    I had an LG G4 that I used for a year and a half before it bricked itself. I have now upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note 7. A lot of the programming differences between the devices seem to be improvements, and most of the others I don't really care about. But, there's one thing the G4 had that's missing on the Note 7 and is really annoying me.

In the recent apps screen that you got from touching the recent apps button on the G4, each app had, next to the close button, a lock icon. I could touch lock icons on the apps that I wanted to keep running in the background. Then, when I touched the Close All button, it would actually close all except the locked apps. This is super useful, as it helped me avoid repeatedly closing and reopening apps I use frequently.

The Note 7 does not have this. In the place where the lock was in the G4, there is a weird icon (see screenshot below) that I quickly discovered opens the app on half the screen. I assume this is to allow for two apps open at once, although I haven't figured out how to get a second one open on the other half, and even if I did, I don't see the advantage. It seems simpler to just switch back and forth between two fullscreen apps by way of the running apps list.

One thing I like about Android is that just about anything can be customized, but in this case I can't figure out how. Does anyone know what I need to install / uninstall to get the lock feature back, or any similar functionality? Thanks in advance for any help.