• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock tablet

Drew75

Lurker
Jan 27, 2014
I'm using this new tablet to set up a photo gallery app so our dealers can slide through and show photos to customers. Is there a way in Jelly Bean to disable the wireless and basically lock down the OS so that they can't change settings, download apps, get on the internet and such? Basically power on the tablet and only be able to start the app and access the photo gallery I made to show the photos in it?

You want a Kiosk app.

They restrict the device to just a handful of apps the device administrator chooses and nothing else is accessible without a master password.

Odds are you are going to have to buy the Kiosk app as they are very specialized and free versions are limited, create a single ”corporate” Google account if you will and you then can install the app on a small fleet of devices using the same Google account as your team grows.

If you grow beyond a handful of devices you should consider making a donation to the dev or make sure you fall within the desired limits of the software in regards to licensing, share the monetary love if you will.

Search kiosk in the play store, you will come across many, always try the ones with a free version first as it will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Upvote 0
^ this sounds a lot less messy lol. i never knew such a thing existed :)

Great for kids and a suggestion I made to someone in the past that wanted to leave their tablet out at gatherings and parties so people could play music through the stereo without having access to everything else on the tablet as multiple profiles on a device will also prevent access to secure music sources like Google music.

You can disable and enable some of the better ones on the fly and all your tablet settings remain intact, just what you give access to is entirely up to you.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones