1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Locked Boot loader???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rdefino, Apr 11, 2012.

1. rdefino

rdefino Well-Known Member

What does this mean? I have a bionic and looking to go to the Maxx.

What does a lock boot loader deny us of on the maxx?

thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. huy_lonewolf

huy_lonewolf Well-Known Member

A locked bootloader prevents you from flashing new firmware, kernels or radio on your phone. Since newer version of Android will use new firmware and different kernels, if you have a locked bootloader, you most likely will not be able to flash ICS ROM on your phone.

3. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast

A locked boot loader will not affect most normal phone users. It will only be a problem when it comes to the "tinkerers" They have a road block to where they want to go when the boot loaders are locked. That is how I see it anyways. But I am a noob and I'm only going of my comprehension

4. rdefino

rdefino Well-Known Member

So your saying then no one can load a different rom on the Maxx?

I thought there were roms that could be loaded.

I'm confused.

thanks

5. huy_lonewolf

huy_lonewolf Well-Known Member

You don't need unlocked bootloaders to flash custom ROMs. What I am saying is that currently your phone is running Gingerbread and you should be able to flash most Gingerbread ROMs. However, if you want ICS, which will probably require a new firmware and radio, then you will need to unlock your bootloader.

6. pcriz

pcriz Android Enthusiast

I think you are misspoken a little bit.

The locked bootloader speaks towards the "boot sector" of the phone which is signed or locked. This boot sector looks for a particular kernel, and radio firmware. That isnt to say you cant have a ROM or even an ICS ROM but ICS would work better on a kernel designed for it unless a dev finds a work around.

So if you want to make a comparison, GNEX users can flash custom kernels (that support different clocking slots, over clock, and etc) as well as radio firmware separate from a complete ROM.

7. cwagmire

cwagmire Newbie

For my Droid 2 I had to bootstrap my phone with a ClockworkMod app to then root my phone. I've ready directions for the Maxx and most of them just require Moto drivers and Motofail and you're done.

It would be nice to not have to buy another bootstrap app but I don't want to brick my phone. Thanks.

8. srq2625

srq2625 Member

To root the Droid RAZR (and MAXX), there is no need to buy anything. There are at least three ways to root and bootstrap/safe strap your phone using dowloaded software free for the picking.

The BatMan's utility (ver 1.5) is probably the easiest to use.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews