• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help locked memo won't open after ICS upgrade

mau09

Lurker
Jul 22, 2012
hi.

so recently i upgraded my samsung galaxy s2 to ICS operating system. all works fine, except that i cannot seem to unlock my locked memos even though i enter the correct pin. it would prompt me to enter the pin and it would accept the pin i enter, but it just won't open my locked memo. it would only bring me back to the list of all my memos, with the locked memo still not open.

can anyone please help? many thanks! :)

Hi,
I couldn't find an answer for this online either, but I just worked out how to view all memo files in a browser page, using Google Documents, or by using the 'Google Drive' app, so long as you know your memo password on your phone!

1. Open up the Memo app on your phone so that you are viewing the main list page
2. Press the (touch-screen screen hardware) 'menu' button on your phone(on my S2, it's at the bottom, left of the glass screen)
3. Choose 'Sync memo'
4. Ensure your phone has reception/internet access and choose 'Log in'.
5. Log in using your Google account ID and password (Register for a Google ID if you don't already have one)
6. You will see 'Log out' on the phone screen now, which confirms that you are now logged in.
7. Choose 'Sync'.
8. Tick the 'Select all' box at the top to transfer all memo files to Google Documents, or just tick the ones you want.
9. Choose 'OK'
10. Enter your Memo PIN and choose 'OK'. So long as your phone has reception/internet access, all your memo's should have been transferred now. You can now log out of Google docs and close the Memo app.
11. Open the Google Docs/Documents page on your pc or phone, or download the 'Google Drive' app to your pc and/or phone. (I just discovered this nice little file app in the process!)
12. Choose 'My Drive'.
13. Choose 'SAMSUNG_MEMO'
14. You should then see a list of all your Memo's!
15. You can also choose to be able to view your files offline by hitting the '>' to the right of each file in the list in 'Google Drive', and you can edit your files in 'Google Drive' or 'Google Documents'.

To copy the text in your memo in 'Drive' (so that you can save it as a memo file in Memo app again):
>Hit the menu button at bottom, left, and choose 'Open in browser'> Tap and hold a word on the screen, and you should see two blue things (cursors?) appear and the word will be highlighted.> Tap the icon at the top right of screen, that looks like four squares inside a square(this will select all text)> Tap the icon that looks like three squares at the top right of screen and choose 'copy', which will copy the highlighted text to your clipboard> Exit 'Drive' and open up Memo app> Choose 'Create memo'> Tap and hold blank page until 'paste' pops up, and select it> The copied text should now appear, and you can save it as a memo again.

The problem now is that your memo is not, and can not(as far as I know) be locked in the Google Drive app, meaning anyone can now view it, but at least now you can see it! However, if you uninstall the Drive app, your file could then only be accessed by browser, which means anyone wishing to view your files would have to know your Google ID and password. Maybe the Drive app isn't so good, after all!

We'll now have to use some other app to easily hide our text files, unless, of course, Memo is fixed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones