• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locked or Unlocked Hero?

toppoff

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
Hi,

I'm about to join the Android party.

I've decided on the HTC Hero. My only choice is whether to get an unlocked model on Vodafone from mobiles.co.uk or a T-Mobile G2 from buymobilephones.net

Ignoring the usual about network preferences and coverage (Tmob appears to have better coverage than Vodafone at home - but I've got wi-fi) is there any benefit of one over the other?

Many Thanks,

Ade.

My hero was from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk . It's the white one (which I think looks much nicer than the T-Mobile version - personal preference of course!).
I would definitely get it unlocked, you won't get T-Mobiles bloatware on it, and you'll get new ROMs faster from HTC website, rather than waiting for T-Mobile/Orange to customise / mess it up!

Also, not sure if your deal is the same, but I'm not tied in to a 500mb per month data limit, and have excellent signal strength and average 3G download speed of 1.5mb, I'm very impressed with Vodafone to be honest.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm about to join the Android party.

I've decided on the HTC Hero. My only choice is whether to get an unlocked model on Vodafone from mobiles.co.uk or a T-Mobile G2 from buymobilephones.net

Ignoring the usual about network preferences and coverage (Tmob appears to have better coverage than Vodafone at home - but I've got wi-fi) is there any benefit of one over the other?

Many Thanks,

Ade.

Hi, I bought my Hero from mobiles.co.uk on Orange and it came unlocked. Its the mocha one.
Advantages:

• better resale value when the time comes
  • Future HTC updates will just work (not carrier-specific)
  • You don't get all the carrier sh#te that you don't want anyway
Thrilled with mine :D

If you get the option, I'd go unlocked every time!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones