• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Locked Out of my Nexus 6P

WholeFnShow

Mar 19, 2011
I'm locked out of my phone. Finger recognition was acting glitchy, so it asked that I use my lock pattern. After multiple attempts, it wasn't recognizing my lock pattern either, so now I'm just stuck and I really don't want to have to factory reset my phone. I just finished chatting with Nexus chat and they were of no help either and of course they want me to factory reset my phone. I feel like there should be another solution to this when this is clearly a glitch on their end. I've had this phone for over a year and now suddenly both my finger recognition failed as does my lock pattern. Any other advice on this would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I'm locked out of my phone. Finger recognition was acting glitchy, so it asked that I use my lock pattern. After multiple attempts, it wasn't recognizing my lock pattern either, so now I'm just stuck and I really don't want to have to factory reset my phone. I just finished chatting with Nexus chat and they were of no help either and of course they want me to factory reset my phone. I feel like there should be another solution to this when this is clearly a glitch on their end. I've had this phone for over a year and now suddenly both my finger recognition failed as does my lock pattern. Any other advice on this would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Hi!
Did you flash TWRP recovery?

Upvote 0
No, I haven't done that. I'm not familiar with TWRP. I'll look into it. Thank you for the reply!

Update: Looks like I need to be rooted? I'm just running stock.
You need to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP and delete the files that store your pattern:

/data/system/locksettings.db
/data/system/locksettings.db-shm
/data/system/locksettings.db-wal
/data/system/gatekeeper.password.key
/data/system/gatekeeper.pattern.key

Upvote 0
You need to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP and delete the files that store your pattern:

/data/system/locksettings.db
/data/system/locksettings.db-shm
/data/system/locksettings.db-wal
/data/system/gatekeeper.password.key
/data/system/gatekeeper.pattern.key

Would you kindly be able to link me to somewhere that shows me how to do that exactly? Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you in advance!

Edit: From what I'm seeing that would wipe my device, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. I'm trying to avoid having to wipe my device.

Upvote 0
It's a common unsaid thing to share how you solved it to help others that may encounter the same issue.
Thanks

Sorry about that. I would have posted how I got it working, but there really was no science to it. For whatever reason, it wasn't recognizing my draw pattern and after 12 hours of messing with it and researching, I attempted again and it worked. Completely random and I'm not a fan of things inexplicably resolving themselves, but that's what happened for me in this case, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

While reading about my issue, I had seen people say they just restarted a few times and their pattern was eventually accepted. Someone also suggested holding the power button down for a minute, but in most cases those people were using Samsung devices, so their experience may have been different.

I can't say for certain why it worked for me randomly. I did restart a few times and tried different variations of my draw pattern in case I was misremembering mine since I generally just use the finger print recognition and rarely restart my phone when the pattern is required.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones