• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Locked out of phone, invalid credentials, broken touchscreen... what do?

Let me start off by saying that I have virtually no tech experience, so please bear with me.

My Incredible 2 has been giving me issues for quite a while, specifically with the touchscreen. Occasionally it will spaz out, mostly without me even touching it (typing long strings of text, continuously scrolling back and forth, clicking and dragging icons everywhere, calling random people in my contacts, etc), and sometimes parts of my keyboard will be completely unresponsive and will stay that way even after the phone is mostly stable.

My friend locked me out of my cell pretty recently which prompted the email/password combo entry. When I was actually able to enter what I thought was the correct combo, the phone still would not unlock. At this point I know what it is, but my onscreen keyboard seems to be busted, and the "0" and "P" keys will not work. The "0" key is integral to actually typing in my password, so at this point I'm effectively locked out of the phone completely. For a while before I had to pop the battery out (the lock/power button was completely unresponsive for a bit and would disable the entire touchscreen if I even made an attempt to shut off the phone) the screen would not respond at all. My accelerometer also seems to be busted and I can't click + drag over to the far right of the screen. Restarting the phone has yielded no results.

I'm not entirely sure if there is a way to root the phone and fix it manually, or if there's anything that Verizon could do that doesn't involve a factory reset or an obscene amount of money. I can only receive calls at this point (when my phone doesn't hang up on them before I even get to answer them). It's extremely frustrating.

Any and all advice/similar issues are welcome. I've heard of others having similar issues involving the screen and the credentials, but I'm totally lost. I won't be able to upgrade my phone until May and I would like to get my contacts and media off of it before switching over and whatnot.

if you are locked out of the phone then the only option that you have is to do a factory reset. on the off chance that you can get back into the phone, i would first try to do the OTA. that may fix some, if not all, of the problems that youre having. if you need any help with this just ask.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones