• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locked Phone Blues

FMW

Mar 28, 2022
No need to tell a long story. I got angry at Consumer Cellular, fired them and received my sim card today from the new network. I can't get the phone to work because it wants to be unlocked. Consumer Cellular refused to unlock the phone stating that I had a past due account. We sent the final payment on Jan 30 and I find it hard to believe they haven't received it yet. So I can't use my cell phone on their network or the new network. Short of buying a new phone, is there a solution?

Until you do get that unpaid billing matter solved and documented by Consumer Cellular, that phone is will be put in a blacklist that all the major carriers follow. That blacklisting will prevent you from getting a cellular service account set up through any of the big carriers and their MVNOs.
You can still rely upon WiFi connectivity for the time being.

Upvote 0
Until you do get that unpaid billing matter solved and documented by Consumer Cellular, that phone is will be put in a blacklist that all the major carriers follow. That blacklisting will prevent you from getting a cellular service account set up through any of the big carriers and their MVNOs.
The point is that there are no unpaid bills. Perhaps now is the time to trash cell phone use entirely. I have already blacklisted Consumer Cellular.

Upvote 0
You said, ".....We sent the final payment on Jan 30 and I find it hard to believe they haven't received it yet....."

I mailed a Home Depot bill on the same day I got it. It was due in 12 days. The check got cashed 3 weeks later. Then I get a $60 late payment fee from Home Depot. Was it the mail service being late or their check cashing service behind processing checks.

We are really being forced to pay bills electronically. You should check to see if your check was cashed.

Upvote 0
The point is that there are no unpaid bills. Perhaps now is the time to trash cell phone use entirely. I have already blacklisted Consumer Cellular.
As far as Consumer Cellular is concerned, you may or may not have sent in a final check that will will close up your account with it. Apparently Consumer Cellular's billing department still considers your account to be unpaid. Until you step things up and get that issue cleared up, that phone will remain carrier-locked. If you mailed it a check, have you checked your checking account records to see if that check has been deposited? If so that would at least give you some leverage when you contact Consumer Cellular.

Upvote 0
As far as Consumer Cellular is concerned, you may or may not have sent in a final check that will will close up your account with it. Apparently Consumer Cellular's billing department still considers your account to be unpaid. Until you step things up and get that issue cleared up, that phone will remain carrier-locked. If you mailed it a check, have you checked your checking account records to see if that check has been deposited? If so that would at least give you some leverage when you contact Consumer Cellular.
I'm going resolve it with them. Then I am going to fire the new network and abandon cell phone use. I don't like businesses or government ruling my life. If I don't have the freedom to to fire a provider and find a new one then the service isn't for me. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
Anybody need an unlocked Moto Pure in good shape?
That's still a pretty decent phone from a hardware specs perspective, even with its Android version limitation. Hopefully you'll be able to get a good price for it.
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_g_pure-11145.php
Are you going to sell it locally (i.e. someone you know or local retailer) or an online reseller?
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/28/how-to-get-the-most-money-for-your-old-phone/
Don't forget to prepare the phone so your personal info is all gone -- don't forget to remove any SIM or microSD cards; go into the Settings >> Accounts menu and remove your Google account; remove the lock screen you've enabled; then do a Factory Reset. You don't want any trace of your personal presence left so when the phone gets rebooted it's 'clean' and the prompt is the typical new user setup process.

Upvote 0
No, a device is only blacklisted across all US carriers when it's reported lost or stolen. A non-payment block generally only applies to the original network. For example, a T-Mobile phone that's blocked for non-payment usually shows up totally clean according to AT&T, and vice-versa

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
No, a device is only blacklisted across all US carriers when it's reported lost or stolen. A non-payment block generally only applies to the original network. For example, a T-Mobile phone that's blocked for non-payment usually shows up totally clean according to AT&T, and vice-versa

Upvote 0
Anybody need an unlocked Moto Pure in good shape?
I think you should keep it! Even if you really don't want a carrier, you might still be able to put Google Voice onto it and be able to make calls via wi-fi. Plus it's not just a phone, it's a handheld PC: You can run apps on it, play games, read e-books, browse the Internet, etc.

That said: If you're not keeping it, and if you don't want to sell it: I could take it off your hands. My dad could use a backup phone anyway. To be clear, I do not need it! It'd just be nice to have. If there's someone else who actulley needs it, you should give it to him instead of me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones