• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locked Phone

Puddy Tat

Jan 31, 2013
Cold Michigan
I have an S20 FE that I just got working a few days ago. I thought a screen lock was a good idea. WRONG! I decided on a pattern lock. I made 9 dots on a paper and drew the pattern. Held the phone up to the pattern and it was 100% the same as on my paper. So I entered it in the phone and did the second entry to confirm. It was 100% the same. Turned off phone and half hour later turned it on and entered the pattern. Phone will not unlock. As far as I am thinking, the pattern lock on that phone is defective.
What surprises me the most is that phone stores do not have any way to reset the phone. So now I have a $600 pile of junk. Don't ever lock your phone or some day it will kick you in the butt.

I have an S20 FE that I just got working a few days ago. I thought a screen lock was a good idea. WRONG! I decided on a pattern lock. I made 9 dots on a paper and drew the pattern. Held the phone up to the pattern and it was 100% the same as on my paper. So I entered it in the phone and did the second entry to confirm. It was 100% the same. Turned off phone and half hour later turned it on and entered the pattern. Phone will not unlock. As far as I am thinking, the pattern lock on that phone is defective.
What surprises me the most is that phone stores do not have any way to reset the phone. So now I have a $600 pile of junk. Don't ever lock your phone or some day it will kick you in the butt.

I don't think it's good advice to others to not have a lock screen enabled. Simply because you're have a problem with your phone doesn't mean everyone else is going to have the same problem. The purpose of any lock screen is to make your device more secure, if it was simple to break it wouldn't be very effective as a deterrent.
https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/p.../guides/21/Secure-phone-Samsung-Galaxy-S20-FE
If you can't use your pattern lock, did you have any kind of alternative also implemented as a backup? (i.e. numeric passcode lock screen) Keep trying, do what @Dannydet suggested. Otherwise, you can log into your Google account using a web browser on another device (desktop or laptop) to remotely access your phone to do a Reset it, but that's only if that is your last resort:
https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity
On the chance you had both WiFi and mobile data disabled, you won't be able to access your phone remotely. You'll need to do a Factory Reset locally by logging into your phone's Recovery mode:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s20-fe/recovery-mode/
But again, this is a 'last resort' matter. Hopefully you have backups of your data, a Factory Reset is a drastic measure and doing a full restore after a Reset can be a hassle.

Upvote 0
The local Verizon store stated to run the battery down until the phone died. You can not shut them off unless you have the pattern to unlock it. So I ran it down to 1% battery and the phone shut down. Did the factory data reset routine to reset the phone to factory. Well it worked, sort of. The first thing it ask was English. The second was connect to wi-fi. Then the surprise! Next screen stated the phone was reset to factory. Enter your unlock pattern!!!!! Factory reset DOES NOT remove the pattern. So as far as I am concerned, that pattern lock on that phone is defective. I did not screw up and carelessly enter the wrong info when I set it up. So now I have a $600 pile of junk. Thanks for all the answers. most have already been tried.

Upvote 0
Well, for a nice wrap up, I went to Best Buy and the Geek Squad to see if they could do anything with this phone. They were booked up for the day and then some. Also stated it usually cost over $100.00 to get one unlocked. So I wandered over to the phone section with thoughts if getting a new phone. While waiting for other customers, a guy walked up and asked if I needed some phone help. Well, yes I do. I told him the problem and he took the phone and looked at some fine print on his phone. I don't know what he did, but the phone unlocked. The pattern was gone. I got a thought that he knew someone from Samsung and had "secrets" on how to fix my phone. Thanked him a ton and went home and reset up the phone with all the "stuff" in my old one. So now my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE purrs almost as good as my cat. All you have to do to get things working now days is to know just what you are doing.
.....And no screen lock of any size, shape, form or what ever. Not going through that nightmare again. Nothing really important on phone anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones