• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Locking icons into place

Dave784

Aug 5, 2021
Hi All

Issue resolved partly.

I found an answer to the below question but where is this option if not on the homescreen settings? Like my MOTO G phone I can't find the homescreen option to lock icons but on my samsung tablet I found the settings.

So where is this setting on devices that don't have it listed in the homescreen settings area or do some devices just not allow this?

-----------------------------

OK so my moms been having an issue where she keeps swiping her icons around or even off the screen and it's been hard to try and explain to her how to get them back.

So what I was wondering is is there a way my brother can help her by locking the icons into place where she can't swipe them around but she can still click them to open apps or FB messenger and such that way she can't accidentally swipe the icons off the screen Cause it is an ongoing thing with her being she's not at all tech savvy that was my dads area but for my mom love her as I do she's useless with computers and phones how she learned to do what she does we haven't a clue as phones and computers are not her thing!

If there is is there a page or video showing how to do this so I can send to my brother so he can set up my moms phone next time he's over?

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:
On my Samsung S21 Ultra I can long press the home screen. It will bring up options for the home screen. Clicking settings I have the option to lock the home screen. You should find something similar on your mother's phone. If not, it will be within the phone settings menu. I would think that it would be a feature no matter the manufacturer.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
On my Samsung S21 Ultra I can long press the home screen. It will bring up options for the home screen. Clicking settings I have the option to lock the home screen. You should find something similar on your mother's phone. If not, it will be within the phone settings menu. I would think that it would be a feature no matter the manufacturer.
I know on my samsung tablet I have the option as I did find it but my moto G either one doesn't have the option or I can't find it under the homescreen settings reason I followed up asking if it might just be hidden elsewhere in the settings to lock the screen in place but still allow access to the apps and such just not let the icons move around.

Upvote 0
My phone doesn't have the settings to lock apps so I use NOVA launcher.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

The setting to lock the apps, there, are under home screen/advanced.
I've been a Pro user of NOVA for many years and is the first app that I install on all my devices.
OK Thanks will send this to my brother with instructions but I think he might be OK as he's pretty sure she has a Galaxy 3 so hopefully settings will be there like they are on my tablet.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones