• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Locking up several times a day

Yankees368

Android Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2010
Recently, my D2 has begun a habit of locking up for several seconds, and then rebooting itself. Occasionally, when I attempt to turn the screen on, the screen will not totally turn on, but instead be very dim, and unresponsive. It will stay like this for 30 seconds, and then reboot on its own. Help!

That same thing has been happening to me since day one. I've tried searching the internet but haven't come across anything like that happening to another D2 until this post. Last weekend I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset (which is such a pain). It's been behaving pretty well this week. Went almost 4 days without rebooting itself or locking up, when it used to do it 4-5 times a day.

I have also had a problem with the search function. Most of the time when I try searching for something it gets the force close message. I figured out if I choose wait instead of force close then it will let me continue a few seconds later. Not a big deal but really slows me down. Does yours do that too?

Upvote 0
It has done better. It locked up once when I was playing a game and got a text (but that happened other times without locking up) and I had to remove the battery. I also put everything back on the phone that was on it before the reset. I'm not convinced it had to do with an app. I'm pretty sure this problem started the day I got it before I had put too much on it.

Upvote 0
According to 2 techs at VW the Advanced Task Killer app is the culprit on the D2. I removed that one and Lookout (virus protection, backup, etc) (one tech said it might be the problem the other uses it regularly), did a Factory Reset, and my problems seemed to go away (4 days w/o a reboot). Then my new (actually 'Certified Refurbished' phone) arrived (today, Dec 13th) and I've added Lookout but not Adv Task Killer and things seem to be stable.

As of now (6 hrs since setup) things are working OK.

Many of my apps have been restored automatically but I haven't run all of them yet.

Now that I've done my first Factory Reset I'm getting pretty fearless. I've added ADW.Launcher and Android Agenda Widget Plus (*with scrolling*)and the results are pretty slick. Then I started the Hot Spot App and it's working OK too.

So I'm not exactly sure what the problem was but it may have been hardware (temperature related?) or due to the Advanced App Killer.

If I were VW (or other major carrier) I'd publish a grid of phone models and verified apps and some good user-oriented debugging tools like Send App but more detailed.

I'm thinking about reinstalling the Advanced Task Killer App. I'll report back when/if I do but since 2 techs at VW said that was likely the cause I think I'll let it rest for a while.

Upvote 0
I only used ATK in 'manual' mode. Then I selected apps that I wanted to kill and killed them. The advice I got from VW didn't make a distinction as to how I was using ATK. They just advised me to uninstall it.

After I removed both the apps the phone didn't crash again for the 3 days it took for the replacement phone to arrive.

Are you using ATK on a D2 on Verizon?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones