1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Android Question

So I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S5 (verizon). Like many people, I have used the "login with Facebook" option for Spotify, Tinder, etc. on my phone. The only problem I'm facing is that I don't want the Facebook app anymore (I'm a student and I just CAN'T spend time on it anymore). I deleted it, along with deactivating my Facebook account. But now I can't log in to any of my "log in with Facebook" accounts. I've kind of screwed myself over. This is obviously a problem on my computer too (so any help there would be greatly welcomed as well) but I'd just be happy if I could make this work. I can maybe be convinced to reactivate Facebook as long as I don't have it on my phone. Ideally, I'd be able to log in to Spotify, etc. without having Facebook on my phone.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I can't speak from experience because I've never used "login with Facebook" with anything, as I'm not interested in tying other parts of my online activity to Facebook. But I'll try to think about the problem:

Firstly, what are the necessary conditions to be able to log in to these other services on your phone? Is re-activating your Facebook account without reinstalling the app on your phone enough, or does the login process rely on the Facebook app itself? That would be easy enough to test. If it works without reinstalling the app you are sorted. I'm assuming that if you FB account is deactivated any attempt to authenticate using it will fail - it would be kinda strange for them to design it otherwise (especially since FB want you to use FB, so there's no advantage to them to letting you use their authentication with the account itself disabled).

If it does require the app, then the best you can do is make it invisible to you to avoid temptation. Turn off all notifications for a start. Do not reinstall Messenger (I'm sure that's not needed for third-party authentication). Do not place a shortcut on your desktop, and if one is automatically placed there during installation remove it (that does not uninstall the app unless you are using the MIUI interface). Hide the app in your app drawer if your launcher has that option - if it doesn't, install one that does and use that instead. Those things wouldn't prevent you using the app, but they'd mean you'd have to jump through more hoops to find it and it would never disturb you.

As I say, I'm not speaking from experience here, just suggesting some things you could try based on some educated guesswork.

3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

Just reactivate your FB account through their website. Once done, you don't ever have to use it again if you don't want to (and without the app, you won't receive notifications), but your other logins will work.