• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Log out of Gmail

hmedina

Lurker
Jul 22, 2010
I suppose this question has been asked, but I couldn't find much by searching.

I've been using gmail for over 5 years and just got an HTC Incredible, my first android phone.

My question has to do with how it handles gmail syncing and integration. Why was it designed to not allow you to log out of gmail or even to require password to access it?

For me the level of privacy I place of my phone is not the same as my email. Just like my laptop, I can let a friend browse the web on my laptop, but I wouldn't leave my email open. With this phone I don't have that option and for me personally it is the only disappointment I have with the phone. But it is big enough for me that I immediately reset the phone, and did a new set up with a dummy gmail account. Upon realizing there's no way to log out I felt trapped and betrayed. Those may sound like an exaggeration, but I'm gotten to trust google and having my emails exposed like that was not reassuring at all. I'm still considering returning the phone and going with something else.

Am I along in this?

Is this the best way to handle gmail syncing for everybody?

Is there a technical reason there can't be a option to require password for Gmail?

Is there some wisdom behind it that I just don't know enough to grasp?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones