• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Logcat not producing logs

SavageRobot

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
I have used Logcat before and I'm sure all I did was open app and it would populate with the logs. I haven't used them much so maybe there is something I am missing. I have installed CatLog and aLogcat and both just come up with nothing.

I have an app that force closes when I use it and would like to send the dev a log to see if he knows whats happening.

Hey @SavageRobot, I know Google made some security changes to accessing the logcat a few versions back, but you might want to try using (invoking) the "logcat" command from an adb or Terminal Emualator for Android session as a first step.

Then you can fire-up one of the apps you mentioned above and see if the logcat command's output reveals what might be going on with those apps...

edit: running the paid (donate) version of aLogcat doesn't produce much output for me--I kind of think an app can only see its own logcat entries (i.e., again, related to recent security changes to the API related to logcat--not a restriction imposed on the logcat command itself when launched from a shell prompt).

Last edited:
Reactions: SavageRobot
Upvote 0
Also, the logcat command (from a terminal emulator session) has a few options that you can do a "one-shot" launch of it instead of having it continuously output/monitor (i.e., the default behavior w/out arguments).

So, doing logcat -f /sdcard/mylogcat -d is a useful command to dump the current contents of the system log to the specified file (i.e., for later review).

Other options are available, too, that might be useful in your case:

-t <count> (prints only the most recent <count> lines)​

Reactions: SavageRobot
Upvote 0
Thanks @scary alien my head is hurting too much to look at this now, I don't have that much experience at all with terminals etc so didn't know how to get the logcat authorised. As it happens the dev actually posted a fix for my problem anyway so don't need it now. I'll look more into ADB way another time as I don't have my cable with me anyway and it has been a long day, the pub is calling :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones