1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

logging packages app

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jdawest, May 21, 2013.

1. jdawest

jdawest Lurker

I work in a storeroom that receives about 40 packages a day from fed ex and ups. We write down the tracking number, the name of the sender and the name of the person it is addressed to. Is there an app that I can use to scan the shipping label and have it go online to get the shipper info and then save all the info to an excel spreadsheet? Maybe even emsil it to me? I use a samsung galaxy note 2. You can reach me at westmail@gmail.com thanks!

Advertisement

2. dlhavema

dlhavema Member

Is there a number below the barcode that you can enter into the textbox of the "Track a Shipment" section on Fedex.com? the Number should be just a human readable version of the barcode, if this function provides what you need, this might be a good place to start.

3. sovereign313

sovereign313 Newbie

Maybe it's just the packages that I receive, but inputting a tracking number at the fedex website, in the tracker box, and submitting it.... the result doesn't tell me anything about who the shipper is. It tells me the status (delivered, or whatever) the city, state and country it shipped from, but not WHO sent it. So something like that would require bar code reading (to get the package #) AND OCR so that the software could identify the shipper by the actual label.

4. jdawest

jdawest Lurker

Good point. Ill try OCR software. Thanks

5. dlhavema

dlhavema Member

That was the result of my research as well. are the shipping labels always printed by computer? if so the OCR process gets a lot simpler since you dont have to worry about "hand written" text...

OCR is complicated even if your "just" dealing with computer printed text...

6. jdawest

jdawest Lurker

Yes. The shipping labels are always computer generated. Still need a program to read them and record the info into a spreadsheet.

7. dlhavema

dlhavema Member

Would an integration with GoogleDocs work out? one that:

takes the image
    uploads it to a Private GoogleDocs Account
    GoogleDocs does the heavy OCR process
    GoogleDocs Sends Notification/Response back to phone
    Phone saves record to excel, website, etc..

the uploaded document in google docs could then be easily deleted, and only the actual image of the shipping label saved...