1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Loki Kernel! Possible Answer to prayers!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Darkangels6sic, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Darkangels6sic

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Darkangels6sic

I was not expecting a shower of response, but so many views, so much time, and nothing?

3. D34DBre4kr

D34DBre4kr Android Enthusiast

Its because we don't have any devs for this phone. No one wants anything to do with us

4. advilsmith

advilsmith Newbie

This phone is dead. I can't even find the MSL code for it and that is usually a simple task. Throw the venice in a river and start over.

5. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

That is due to the ROM, and it affects other phones as well. In ICS and JB they removed the getprop field of ril.MSL out of the toolbox.bin file. Without that, none of the MSL retrieval apps will work. It is possible to get it from Boost's automated help system by using options for something like MMS messages not working, and some have simply asked the Boost CS person.

Luckily I have a work around for this on my S2, which involves putting in an older toolbox.bin from an earlier ROM then getting your MSL. However, this is risky on the Venice without having CWM, if something goes wrong and the phone won't boot.

6. Darkangels6sic

I wish we had found this when Playfullgod and a couple others were trying to work on it

7. Darkangels6sic

Do you know of anyone accomplishing any of the above said methods?

8. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

yes I have called boost and gotten my MSL, both from the rep and also pulled it from the step given to you in the automated help menus.

The option for changing the toolbox.bin I did on my S2. I don't recommend trying that on the Venice without having CWM to recover if a problem occurs.

Darkangels6sic likes this.
  9. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

Loki definitely looks possible!
    Stuff I found online:
    [LOKI] Bootloader hack official FAQ thread - xda-developers
    https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

Apparently you just need boot.img and I think we have this information!
    http://androidforums.com/venice-all...covery-clockworkmod-recovery.html#post5434382

So...
    Code (Text):
    2. adb shell
    3. su
    4. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
    6. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 of=/sdcard/system.img
    8. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/sdcard/boot.img
    9. adb pull /sdcard/recovery.img
    10. adb pull /sdcard/system.img
    11. adb pull /sdcard/boot.img
    A dev should definitely look into this!

10. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

So I dumped boot.img recovery.img and system.img using the above commands... but loki says: loki_patch [boot|recovery] [aboot.img] [in.img] [out.lok] I assume aboot.img is the same as boot? But then do we have an in.img? How do we patch for clockword mod? Devs?

11. Darkangels6sic

Wow. So we might actually get somewhere?? Can anyone get a dev? I can't wait until I further understand this level of the software.

12. Darkangels6sic

Hmm. Helps if I make direct replies haha

13. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

Well, I tried reaching out to some LG devs, I hope one of them will stop by and we can see what we can do to help get this rolling. For convenience I've uploaded the dumps for someone to look over - Download: https://mega.co.nz/#F!UBsBUbrT!U5IpV2B8iGgNla-COSy3_A Included: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/recovery.img dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 of=/sdcard/system.img dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/sdcard/boot.img

14. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

i need aboot image dumped. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.partition&hl=en click on advanced and find out which is aboot and dump that using dd please.

ill ask to have loki support it but IMO its a waste of time for dan. lets say you guys get loki and i get cwm working for yall, you wont have cm, you wont have much. someone might make a few themes and someone might do a rom made by a kitchen and filled with fake build.prop tweaks.

like i said, ill ask but dan may consider it not worth his time to do all the work to add loki for the venice.

15. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

I tried the app you suggested. It shows only the following vague information:
    Code (Text):
    2. mmcblk0p5 /persist
    3. mmcblk0p6 /cache
    4. mmcblk0p12 /system
    5. mmcblk0p13 /data
    6. mmcblk0p21 /mpt
    7. mmcblk0p23 /persist-lg
    8. mmcblk0p24 /carrier
    Since /cache and /data were too big to mirror I didn't bother.
    But the rest is all here:
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!VdNBBQYI!Y-iJLqBUxdwxPJ4Uornqcw

Also if needed, the /cache/recovery/last_log:

16. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

if you click on advanced it shows the mmcblk0p#'s and if you expand them it will say the name of the partition.

17. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

I agree. There should be partition names, but only the ones I mentioned above had names, including on the advanced menu. The others do not have any labels to the partitions. :(

But as mentioned before if we have an aboot it is in the mega folder above, I dumped everything there was :D

18. Darkangels6sic

Yup. Only a select few had anything. And I think they were the same as the labels in the regular menu. Persist-lg and what not. Everything else is it just an un mounted partition.
    It's still gotta be one right? As in could we pinpoint by a specific size?

19. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

That program basically does the same thing as this:
    Code (Text):
    1.  255|root@android:/system/etc # cat /proc/mounts rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0 tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0 proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0 none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0 tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0 tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0 none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p12 /system ext4 ro,relatime,data=ordered 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p13 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,resuid=1000,data=ordered 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p6 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p5 /persist ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p21 /mpt ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p23 /persist-lg ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.2/by-num/p24 /carrier ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
    Still not very helpful information as far as I can see... but I'm sure someone with a better eye can spot it wherever it is

20. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

This might be of assistance? :eek:
    Found the infos on [DEV][REF] El Grande Partition Table Reference - xda-developers

21. andyr0cks

andyr0cks Newbie

Based on other findings I imagine it is either /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 or /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 simply because the file size expected for the typical aboot is around 2MB. :?:

22. Darkangels6sic

Thank you a lot thus far. I feel fairly useless atm.

23. Darkangels6sic

Was anyone else able to figure anything out?

LG Venice Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews