• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LoL - Hero stand!

gnarlyDUCK

Oct 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
I've been looking for a stand/dock for the Hero, but none are appealing and i dont want to spent much....
... so i did the next best thing, made my own.

UPDATE: USB Dock - instructions for those who want to re-create.

1. Supplies used - All of these should be easy to get (especially at an office): 2 styrofoam cups, cutting object, tape.. and a few minutes.
0.jpg

2. Measure about the size (in height) of the USB connector and mark the bottom of the cup.
1.jpg

3. Mark around the cup - make your slice, and keep the bottom. This will be our base.

** Note: The bigger your base the sturdier.. dont forget, this is styrofoam lol. Or you can put some sort of weight near the front.
2.jpg

4. Base
3.jpg

5. Estimate size of full USB dongle, and cute hole NEAR CENTER. I recommend a hole big enough so that it is easy to pass through or slightly snug.

**Note: Do cut the USB near the center. The reason for this is because since the USB connects directly on the bottom of the phone, while in the dock it will stand vertical.. not giving a good viewing angle.
4.jpg

6. Test the hole
5.jpg

7. Cut 2nd cup AT LEAST in half, and then continue cutting to your desired angle of viewing.
6.jpg

8. My preference
7.jpg

9. Place and tape both bottoms together
8.jpg

10. Flip, mark, and cut 2nd USB hole
9.jpg

11. Make sure USB is passed through the hole with about 1/2" slack, then tape as shown. I would also recomment making a small notch for the cable.
10.jpg

12. Enjoy.
11.jpg

This would be great for Hero users that watch media for long periods or time.

89255114.jpg

12844787.jpg

68520943.jpg

35192990.jpg

Wonderful.

A good complement would be to download Screebyl Lite (Market), which allows you to keep your phone active while running passive programs by sensing and invoking sleep according to the phone's angle, rather than a fixed time interval. Once set up (very simple), as long as your phone stays within the angle parameters which you establish, the phone stays awake. Once the phone exceeds the parameters (say by laying it down flat on a desk), the phone goes to sleep (after a fixed time interval which you establish using the normal settings). I already can see battery life improvement after just a couple of days.

Thanks for raising the subject.

Upvote 0
Very nice,
The Hero's USB also puts out an audio signal. I have an adapter that came with my old Mogul that has an audio out and a usb in. If you use one of these you do not have to use the headphone jack and you will get a cleaner look.

Really?? that would make for a cool project for a car mount. music hardwired well also charging at the same time.

Do you have a link to the adapter?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones