• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop 5.0 [Its out! 11/12]

I was forced to downgrade back to KitKat to avoid reboots. It got to a point where after my phone was disconnected from the charger for a bit it would reboot uncontrollably. How can Android release such a faulty OS. Back on KitKat now working fine.
Did you try a factory reset before? It sounds more like something got mucked up and needed to be cleared out

Upvote 0
No. I read others had tried that and it didn't work for them. I think it is a glitch in the OS. Was at ATT store today. They told me all Nexus 6 were recalled. That phone comes with lollipop pre loaded. Wonder if it is related.
Only ATT nexus 6's were recalled, and according to motorola it was due to an ATT specific bug in the firmware. Possibly due to the modifications ATT made to the device.

That is a completely separate issue from lollipop.

I've been running lollipop since June and haven't experienced that issue.

Reactions: BynoUK
Upvote 0
No. I read others had tried that and it didn't work for them. I think it is a glitch in the OS. Was at ATT store today. They told me all Nexus 6 were recalled. That phone comes with lollipop pre loaded. Wonder if it is related.

Looks like it's an ATT-specific issue so probably not Lollipop related.

EDIT-Rxpert beat me to it

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
OK I know this was discussed with Lolipop, but I'll post a follow up so others can tell us what they have done to date to resolve this issue from LP

I finally updated to LP, since I will be receiving my S5 sometime next week from the FIL, so I wanted to test drive LP, to see if I like it first, so when the S5 gets it, I'll decide whether to update or not.

So far it takes getting use too, but for the most part I have no issues with LP. But this sound issue urks me, I like to turn the volume off for notification every night, between certain hours, now from what I can see, BC of the way Google changed this process, it looks like no apps will allow us to do so any longer. Now I know if we press the volume down button, we have options and scheduling that we can set according to preference. The issue I have is it does not always work as described. I have all notifications turned of, but calls from caller ID to come in. When my call did come it, it did not ring, and the notifications did silence, but I did not get any Led display telling me I had a notification for either a TM or an Email. Thanks Google for deciding this, and not leaving it up to us to choose.

One more thing, I thought the star notification in the status bar, is for when a schedule is set, why is the star always on now ??

So after all the discussion and complaints from many, has anyone figured a solution to this without having to root, otherwise when I get the S5, I'm not updating BC of this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So star means that you have only priority notifications (which you can only set to vibrate or ring, there is no silent anymore...) you can probably set the apps you want to be priority and use that when you go to sleep. Except that you have to have it do something (can't be silent, which irks me)
Star means priority, none means silent (like what it use to be to turn your phone volume all the way down past vibrate), Vibrate is vibrate (turning the volume all the way down). Priority is that special configurable zone in Settings --> sound and notifications --> interruptions.

The start should not be showing all the time. For instance, I make calls all day long to potential clients and ask them to call my cell phone back, I've configured my priority notifications to only let calls go through on my cell phone, no alerts of texts or emails or anything. I set my phone to priority (the star) during my day at work so I can hear if a client is calling me but nothing else comes through. When I leave for the day, I press the up volume and then select ALL which makes my found notify on everything again. Make sense?

Upvote 0
Star means priority, none means silent (like what it use to be to turn your phone volume all the way down past vibrate), Vibrate is vibrate (turning the volume all the way down). Priority is that special configurable zone in Settings --> sound and notifications --> interruptions.

The start should not be showing all the time. For instance, I make calls all day long to potential clients and ask them to call my cell phone back, I've configured my priority notifications to only let calls go through on my cell phone, no alerts of texts or emails or anything. I set my phone to priority (the star) during my day at work so I can hear if a client is calling me but nothing else comes through. When I leave for the day, I press the up volume and then select ALL which makes my found notify on everything again. Make sense?

Oh it makes perfect sense to me. I am trying to help others. The issue we have is that when it's on none or priority, the notification light doesn't flash for any, or only flashes for priority notifications, respectively. Used to be you could go to silent and still have flashes when you had a notification. There are people, me included, who would like to be able to set the phone to silent and still have the light go

Reactions: BynoUK and DonB
Upvote 0
Oh it makes perfect sense to me. I am trying to help others. The issue we have is that when it's on none or priority, the notification light doesn't flash for any, or only flashes for priority notifications, respectively. Used to be you could go to silent and still have flashes when you had a notification. There are people, me included, who would like to be able to set the phone to silent and still have the light go
Ahhhh, I see. My apologies. Yes, it definitely doesn't allow for the notification light to only flash with nothing else. Perhaps lightflow offers a workaround?

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
No true silent mode has been my only issue with Lollipop, I rely on my LED alone for notifications while at work.

Really hoping Google sort the issue out, it bothers me that I can't just set it to mute without vibrate and still see the LED (which I've configured so I know what notification I have by colour) using the volume buttons like I've always done.

I'm ok with change but not when it's backwards (after all, the first two iterations of the L preview allowed a long press of the vibrate/bell icon on the slider to enable the function!)

Reactions: GuitarG20 and DonB
Upvote 0
No true silent mode has been my only issue with Lollipop, I rely on my LED alone for notifications while at work.

Really hoping Google sort the issue out, it bothers me that I can't just set it to mute without vibrate and still see the LED (which I've configured so I know what notification I have by colour) using the volume buttons like I've always done.

I'm ok with change but not when it's backwards (after all, the first two iterations of the L preview allowed a long press of the vibrate/bell icon on the slider to enable the function!)

Yep, agreed, don't know what Google was thinking, sometimes they are bright, and at other times you say, UMMM is this possible. :eek: Almost like Walter White, LOL

Upvote 0
My honest guess is that Google has realized they overengineered it a little bit and they'll add the functionality back in our next update.

I am conflicted in general about it though. I like the priority notifications, since it allows me to leave my phone on for calls while I am asleep (I have a job where i'm on call 8pm to 8am most nights) but nothing else in Priority mode, and I can turn notificiations and the light off during class using None. However, when I'm at my (other) job, I'd like to be able to have my phone silent but still see the light if I get notifications.

Byno, does Lightflow follow the new notification rules (so for example, it won't flash if you get a non-priority notification when you're in priority and it'll stay off completely in none mode?)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I was forced to downgrade back to KitKat to avoid reboots. It got to a point where after my phone was disconnected from the charger for a bit it would reboot uncontrollably. How can Android release such a faulty OS. Back on KitKat now working fine.

While you're at it, since you were successful at reverting back, you might want to post your steps and where you got your file, so those that want to do the same can do so, from someone that was already successful. My gut is telling me there will be a few asking for the steps to revert back, and we can direct them to your post. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why do they work on these things and release them before sorting them out properly. Less than 0.1% of people even have 5.0 and already there is an update.
That's the whole reason of having .X updates. They weren't fully aware of some of those bugs. Once released, issues and reports start appearing, so they fix them.

Reactions: GuitarG20
Upvote 0
Why do they work on these things and release them before sorting them out properly. Less than 0.1% of people even have 5.0 and already there is an update.

They've been testing it for months with the preview builds, both with devs and with their own employees (likely.) And they have been squashing bugs the whole time. Regardless, as soon as you change one character of code you have the potential to break every other piece of code. A good example of this is the wifi bug that came up as they were getting ready to release the update that they had to fix. That's why fixing bugs is an iterative process and we have .X and .0.X releases. If they never released till the code was perfect... we would never have updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones