• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop 5.0 [Its out! 11/12]

I have a question about OTA updates and root.

I rooted my wife's N5 a while back using towel root (I know, I know I probably shouldn't have done it that way but I wanted an easy way to root without losing her data) for the purposes of using a battery stats app to find out which app was draining her battery.

I left everything stock so I'm curious if when lollipop is pushed out OTA will it go to her phone or will I have to uprade her manually?
The OTA will go to any phone that checks for it.

The issue is whether or not it will install.

With only root and nothing else changed, you should be fine. It will likely unroot her though.

You may want to take this opportunity to unlock her boot loader without losing data with the app bootunlocker for nexus. That way if the OTA fails you can still update her via fastboot without losing data.

Upvote 0
I have a question about OTA updates and root.

I rooted my wife's N5 a while back using towel root (I know, I know I probably shouldn't have done it that way but I wanted an easy way to root without losing her data) for the purposes of using a battery stats app to find out which app was draining her battery.

I left everything stock so I'm curious if when lollipop is pushed out OTA will it go to her phone or will I have to uprade her manually?

As long as there are no modifications, everything is stock and it's only rooted then yes she should receive the OTA update and it will go through just fine but obviously you'll lose root.

Reactions: thisISjoel
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I dont post on the forums much anymore because my real life is quite busy nowadays but to be honest I'm very dissatisfied we're looking at other non-Nexus devices getting 5.0 before us. I know it's whiny and somewhat stupid to complain, but it's annoying. That's pretty much all I have to say. I love my Nexus 5 and I dont plan on upgrading anytime soon I am still so happy with the device.

Get your stuff together, Google. You are quickly diminishing the main advantage to having a Nexus device.

Upvote 0
I dont post on the forums much anymore because my real life is quite busy nowadays but to be honest I'm very dissatisfied we're looking at other non-Nexus devices getting 5.0 before us. I know it's whiny and somewhat stupid to complain, but it's annoying. That's pretty much all I have to say. I love my Nexus 5 and I dont plan on upgrading anytime soon I am still so happy with the device.

Get your stuff together, Google. You are quickly diminishing the main advantage to having a Nexus device.
I don't think you'll be waiting long. Could happen today, could happen later this week. I would be surprised if we have to wait til next week.

And itsnt it a good thing that other manufacturers are getting their butts together? "Fragmentation" is always something people bring up to bash android. Google fixed that by making android version mostly irrelevant, and now with the biggest update androids ever gotten have fixed it by giving manufacturers increased access before release.

As for our nexus 5's getting it, there was a major battery draining bug that was just patched late last week. The other devices getting the update may still have this bug. I'd rather wait a bit longer for better software.

Also keep in mind the moto x 5.0 update is not official, its just a soak test for those who signed up to beta test. The G3 is only being updated in Poland, which is LG's version of a soak test.

Upvote 0
5.0 should start rolling out Wednesday. There was a bug draining the battery in the original build, and it is now said to be resolved. You can check the website to find out when the factory image has been released

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I don't think that other(Samsung, LG, Motorola, Etc) devices will see the update before Nexus devices. That would cause a huge impact on Google's sales of Nexus devices.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I don't think you'll be waiting long. Could happen today, could happen later this week. I would be surprised if we have to wait til next week.

And itsnt it a good thing that other manufacturers are getting their butts together? "Fragmentation" is always something people bring up to bash android. Google fixed that by making android version mostly irrelevant, and now with the biggest update androids ever gotten have fixed it by giving manufacturers increased access before release.

As for our nexus 5's getting it, there was a major battery draining bug that was just patched late last week. The other devices getting the update may still have this bug. I'd rather wait a bit longer for better software.

Also keep in mind the moto x 5.0 update is not official, its just a soak test for those who signed up to beta test. The G3 is only being updated in Poland, which is LG's version of a soak test.
Isn't 5 the end of fragmentation?

Didn't Google tell manufacturers that they had to supply vanilla and pump customisation via play or their own servers?

Upvote 0

Didn't Google tell manufacturers that they had to supply vanilla and pump customisation via play or their own servers?

I haven't heard that myself. :dontknow:

I always thought fragmentation was more about android version, and less about the skins. Googles mostly made android version irrelevant by updating things through the play store.

Googles been pushing Samsung to stay closer to stock, but I don't think they've required it. Things have been"leaked" from Samsung and its def still touchwiz. Closer to home, but still there

Upvote 0

Nope. Word on the street is google told manufacturers to stop deviating so much, but they are essentially free to do what they want with the software after google gives it them.

Google also said that now carriers have to supply their software through google play instead of baking it into ROMs, allowing it to be removed easier.

Reactions: nx1977 and Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I'm really surprised that Google hasn't made an ad with the lil Google Guy dancing around to Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop" (First SKA single to chart in the US circa 1963). ;) She was from Jamaica, but recording in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYj9J4UH8ck

They could have some fun with this.

Ans now back to your regularly scheduled discussion. :D :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones