• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop Update on Verizon S5

victek

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2011
Just did the Lollipop update on my S5 (Verizon). Generally things are working OK, however battery performance seems to fluctuate. I just wiped the cache partition so hopefully that will help. I use Nova Launcher and that's been working without a hiccup. One small problem is the widget I was using to toggle between sound/vibrate/silence no longer works. Apparently something was changed in the sound settings....? Does anyone know if there's an easy way at the moment to switch between sound, vibrate and silent modes? Also the auto-brightness control seems more aggressive, meaning the screen is dimmer especially at night. Is anyone else noticing that? Is there a way to calibrate it? TIA.

I'm still on VZW 4.4.4 but have heard about all of the complaints that you speak of here.

I just looked at my notes on that, and found the following. Maybe something of it will help you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cross Fingers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alarm Clock will not over-ride Mute:
Use priority instead:
Open/slide down notification bar on lock screen.
Click on top right icon to open icon page. Click on pencil icon to edit buttons. From available buttons, drag "always interrupt" button to top section; active buttons.

Now when you open the notification bar you can press on the always interrupt button which will then say; priority only and the sound button will say Sound (priority).

Now go to;apps/settings/sound and notification/Interruptions and you can choose the options that you will want to occur when pressing on the Always interrupt button. It states that "Alarms are always considered priority interruptions".

Hope this helps.

It now becomes a one button press.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Battery Life Fix:
I posted yesterday about the sharp dropoff in battery performance after upgrading to Lollipop.

I was toying with the idea of doing a factory reset. Thought that before I did I'd try clearing the cache partition and, just for good luck (from my Blackberry days) doing a hard reset by pulling the battery.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lock Screen Notifications settings
go into settings then sound and notification. Scroll down to while locked & set it to whatever you like
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is a silent mode its just a pain in the arse to setup. Settings/Sounds and notifications/Interruptions and priority mode. Set interruptions to never disturb and you will get a circle with a - through it icon to notify you its silent. Use priorty mode and you will see a Star icon notification. I use a widget to switch between all sounds/vibrate and priority mode (silent)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WiFi dropout, turn off SmartSwitch networks
under Settings --> Quick Settings --> Wi-Fi you will find a check box option named "Smart network switch", untick it, this should take care of the problem
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
So, my wife has the S5 on Verizon. I just checked for the update and it comes in 2 parts it says. However it says that part one of a two part update that prepares your phone for the lollipop update. So what there's going to be 3 parts? Two to prepare it and the final one to be lollipop? I would just like to know if they are wording this weird or if it's going to actually be 3 parts like I think it is and I'm still going to have to wait to see lollipop on a phone I can have in my hands?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed info. You mentioned using a widget for sound mode switching; which one? TIA
The text I enclosed was "copied from" other posts about Lollipop, and they did not include the link to their widget. I tried to say that up front, it is copied from a notebook I keep from "other's posts.".

One day, while I am still screaming "NO", Lollipop will install on my phone. for now, I have prevented it....

When I make "personal posts" and talk about widgets, apps, etc.... I make it a point to include the links to get to that software. It pains me to see incomplete info... also, it pains me to see folks go to extra effort to help someone and then the original poster never comes back to say "thank you".

Hopefully something of that "copied text" will benefit you.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones