1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Lollipop Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CoyotesFan4Evr, Feb 14, 2015.

1. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    You don't really want to know.
    Phoenix
    So since I look at stuff on here and I Google search stuff such as the lollipop update from time to time, my Google now picks up articles on it. I've been seeing this same article for a month now in my Google now feed about how close we are to finally getting lollipop. Mostly the article talks about how to get the alpha and beta rom builds. Of course I want the official so I'm waiting. Among other things that is causing me to wait. So does anyone have any word at all on any idea as to if it's just right around the corner? Last time I saw an update to the article the other day it said next week. If not that's fine. I just wish LG was more forth coming with their update schedule.

Advertisement

2. DaveTN

DaveTN Member
    None

Feb 24, 2012
    PA
    Knoxville, TN
    The Customs Today article you are (probably) referring to in Google Now is BS. That story has been floating around for months and is "updated" daily. It mostly refers to the Lollipop update for the Korean version of the G2. My guess is sometime after April this year.... Later if you are on Verizon.

David

3. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    Remote Services Technician
    PA
    T-Mobile just released a new page with news on updating to Lollipop. If you have a different carrier is look for something similar or call them to find out if they have a page that they can check progress on. As for me I'm still looking into the custom roms because I seriously dislike the bloatware that takes up gigs of precious space.

4. araxxis

araxxis Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2014
    Can you link me that page? I looked all over on t-mobiles site, couldnt find it :(

5. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Just read that the LG G3 rolled out the update on Verizon. I'm still having issues with that little bump update that was put out what a month ago? I haven't found the post on how to install a custom recovery yet so I haven't flashed the stock firmware on my phone so I can take that bump update even though I'm just stock rooted and have done nothing else to my phone in still told I have to flash that firmware. Unless someone has the file around so I can side load it?

6. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates#tmoSUPDocTitle
    I'm also working on writing an all-in-one-place-for-rooting-your-g2-no-matter-what-version-you're-running (titles a work in progress) as I was able to successfully root and flash a custom rom to my G2 which was running 4.4.2 and I didn't have access to download mode. It'll be an all in one guide with links and several shoutouts and whatever else to credit the people I got all my info from, as soon as I find those pages again (I'm an idiot for not bookmarking them).

7. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    One problem, I'm on Verizon. Lol. I appreciate the help though! But since you say it's going to be an every version guide will it work for my phone now or no?

8. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    Yes, the video I followed was from a Verizon phone. The steps I took were the same on my T-Mobile phone, the only changes were which files I had to download which were specific for the carrier.

9. DanDroid

DanDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    QA Analyst
    Ohio
    If you are familiar with rooting / custom recovery installs, I found this a few days ago. No issues, and everything works, including wi-fi calling, and all T-Mobile bloatware (if you're into those).

10. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    So, what's the process for doing a custom recovery on my Verizon G2? I looked on the page you listed but it didn't give me anything on how to do that. I'm also upset about I guess the new play store update? It gives ads now after an app updates. I hate it!

11. DanDroid

DanDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    QA Analyst
    Ohio
    I found this today, which doesn't require a custom recovery. It's for the Version G2 variant.

12. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    I've been rooting phones for awhile now and I'm sorry this is just getting to be to much to go thru for updates. I'm still having to defer the minor update that came out what back in Feb? All I am is stock rooted. It shouldn't be this much technical work to be on the right stuff. I guess if I get my Verizon bill fixed I'll just upgrade to the G3 for free so I can start over from scratch with at least a brand new phone.

13. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

I'm still on 4.2.2. Stock, rooted, with a custom recovery, and G2 xposed.

14. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    I had G2 exposed but didn't really need it so I took it off. I think I did anyways. And I get that many of you are stock rooted with a custom recovery. I would love to be there too. I just find the method for getting there complicated at the moment. However lollipop just hit today so I'm hoping I can update to that without a problem.

15. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

16. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    For me an update like this is like a brand new phone or like flashing a rom and having to play with it and learn it.

17. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Ok so maybe this will get me where I want to be. Why is it that if I try to reboot into recovery with rom manager I get the little dead android with the exclamation point coming out of it? No I don't actually have a custom recovery installed via the current method however if I select a recovery from rom manager and tell it to use that then it should install the recovery from rom manager and allow me to use it. So what am I doing wrong? This one stumps me at the moment.

18. CoyotesFan4Evr

None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    Phoenix
    Nothing? Nothing at all? There's 90 pages over on xda and I'm sure there's more by now. I'm not about to go sift thru them at the moment to find out why rom manager won't do what it's done on every other phone I've had before. Screw it. I'm going to try and con Verizon out of the G3 so I don't have to mess with my G2 anymore.

19. MachanicNinja

MachanicNinja Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2015
    I have the LG g2 And I updated to the lollipop update this morning and I can't use Google play services, because it needs an update. I cant update it because I think it needs the update. Can someone help? Also I'm using Verizon.

#19 MachanicNinja, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  20. Highwayman

VIP Member
    None

May 12, 2010
    Male
    Ohio
    I had the same issue. I rebooted the phone, then went into google play to select Google Play Services to update. No problems since.

bberryhill0 likes this.
  21. MachanicNinja

MachanicNinja Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2015
    I took your advice and still nothing, I select update and it's says downloading but nothing ever happens.

22. Highwayman

VIP Member
    None

May 12, 2010
    Male
    Ohio
    You might try clearing the cache then attempting the update.

23. MachanicNinja

MachanicNinja Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2015
    That hadn't worked either. Any other ideas? I rather not do a factory reset though.

24. Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    After the update I keep getting the "life is good" ringtone ON TOP OF the ringtone I choose in the system notifications settings.

Not cool. This one is a deal breaker.

LG G2

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. It also has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera, NFC, and more.
Tags: