• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
It's sort of silly to me that the Moto X 2013 version is seeing lollipop already but not the Turbo. Kind of worrisome for our long term update prospects / status. (Heck, the HTC M7 & M8 are rolling out as well as some Sony phones). The point is, the Turbo is supposedly fairly stock like the X, and one of the newest devices out there... and still no word on Lollipop. I have 5.0 on my tablet (N10), and it is very nice (though not a HUGE change). Many of the best features are under the covers... and I think our phone will really fly with them (like the fact that it uses the new art runtime as opposed to dalvik, etc).

Reactions: Skipdawg
Upvote 0
It's sort of silly to me that the Moto X 2013 version is seeing lollipop already but not the Turbo. Kind of worrisome for our long term update prospects / status.

Is that the unlocked 2013 Moto X or the Verizon version? While I'd be a *little* surprised if the 2013 Verizon Moto X receives Lollipop before the Turbo, I wouldn't be *terribly* surprised. The Moto X is Moto's branded phone, while the Droids are Verizon's brand, and I can certainly understand Motorola wanting to upgrade their phones before they work on Verizon's. Ultimately, though, the upgrade schedule for Verizon phones is up to Verizon. They may insist on a Turbo update before they allow Moto to update the 2013 X. I guess we'll see when we see.

As for long-term update prospects, stop worrying. Motorola has made it clear that their phones will be upgraded so long as they can support the updates (though I bet they only update them through two named version updates.) We already know that the Turbo is getting Lollipop. The 2012 Droids (the Razr HD and Razr M) received Jellybean and KitKat upgrades, the 2013 Droids received KitKat and will be getting Lollipop. Motorola has been excellent recently about keeping their phones updated, and Verizon as well for their Droids, and usually pretty quickly.

Reactions: Dagr and Skipdawg
Upvote 0
I'm not an excerpt on why android takes so long for updates especially on Verizon. My first droid was the droid incredible and it seems things haven't really changed much. It was difficult getting updates then.. I think the turbo is fine the way it is at this time but having the latest version would be nice. I went to Iphone after my first droid and then back to the Samsung s4 ansd now the turbo. Samsung was very quick with gupdates and of course the iPhone. Well I'm not sure what my next phone will be but I've been enjoying my Turbo.. Disappointing is how updates take so long on Verizons exclusive phones are never taken care of...

Upvote 0
The only updated info is that Motorola announced a couple of weeks ago that the Turbo would be updated directly to version 5.1. Neither Motorola nor Verizon ever give timing. You'll know when you start seeing stories about Motorola inviting members to soak tests. As soon as those invites go out, within hours there will be a post here about it, if the past is an accurate predictor of the future (which I think it is in this case.)

Hold tight, it's coming. We don't know when, but it's coming. (Followed inevitably by the people complaining about the update, who they want the old version back, etc.)

Upvote 0
LOL. rinse and repeat.
1) Where is it??? I can't stand the wait. Why can't we have it when phone _INSERT_NAME_HERE already got it?
2) What's the big deal, I don't see *any* difference
3) My battery life is shorter
4) My battery life is longer
5) After the update _INSERT_FUNCTION_HERE broke...WTF???
6) Did you do factory data reset?
7) Why do I have to reset...it takes 99 hours to recover everything.
8) goto 1.

hsb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones