1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Long pressing the home button stops working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdf3, Jun 3, 2013.

1. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member

Pressing and holding the home button on the Note 2 will bring up the Task Manager, Recent Apps, and Google Now.
    There are times when this feature stops working. I would press and hold the home button, but the window would never appear. I would only get a subtle vibration.
    I would then have to reboot my device in order for this feature to work again. I searched online and saw where a few other people had the same issue, but no one had a fix.
    I contacted Samsung, and they claim this doesn't happen, and acting as though I'm making it up.
    It seems to happen when my available RAM is low. When I constantly clear my RAM throughout the day, I don't have the issue as much. As soon as I forget and my RAM runs low, it happens.
    Is this happening to anyone else?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

First you need to find out why your Ram is filling up

Also are you using a different launcher, or you are on TW ??

3. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member

I was using a 3rd party launcher, and assumed it was the reason. I then switched back to the stock launcher and it still happened. I even wiped my device and did a reset using the home button, power button, and home button method.
    It still happens.

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

And you are running stock, not rooted ??

5. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member

Stock. Not rooted.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

After using a 3rd party launcher, some of which will remap or ignore the TouchWiz mapping of the home button, a revert back to TW and reboot will fix that issue.

If it's not, and not even a FDR, then I'd suspect debris in the home button well. Cleaning that area can be tricky.. and removing it for thorough cleaning could be problematic, but is possible:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Home Button Repair - YouTube

7. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member

Reverting back to stock and reset, still didn't correct the issue.
    Not sure if it's debris in the home button because it works fine most of the time. I only have issues when the RAM gets low.
    After doing a reboot it would work again. I'm assuming if it was debris, it would still not work after rebooting.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews