• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long term life problems

afrodaby

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
Okay so I have scoured the internet and these forums to try and find an answer to this, but I just can't find it. I'm wondering what the long term life of the whole Galaxy line looks like. The reason being that right now I'm looking at both the GS3 and the iPhone 5. I know that most on these forums will probably try to sway me to the GS3, but right now I'm just interested in any problems that the GS3 will have down the road.

Some background on me and my question: I am currently working with the HTC Incredible. I have had the phone for almost 2 years, and up until about 4 or 5 months ago the phone has lived up to its namesake and been quite incredible. However, now it is quite slow, doesn't respond to my touches as well, and takes an absurd amount of time (usually) to get anything done.

With that said I know that the iPhone's have a pretty good track record for maintaining their quality throughout the life of the 2 year contract and beyond (I know people that are still happy with their iPhone 3S). What I don't know is the long term quality of the Galaxy S line (both 1, 2, and 3).

I'm quite interested in getting the GS3, but the only thing that may make me make the switch to iOS is the long term quality (or at least the expected quality inferred from past versions of the phone).

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Davis

Well, without a crystal ball I don't know that there is an answer to your question. I can tell you that my last Galaxy was still quite usable, and I used it almost 2 years to the day. Sold it on Craigslist for a good amount as well. The only thing really lacking was a front camera.. other than that with the ability to put just about any OS version I wanted (was running ICS on it when I sold it) on it as well as being able to change the UI as I saw fit, other than the front camera it was never lacking in features.

Upvote 0
In my family we have 3 of the Vibrant(galaxy s 1), 2 of the Galaxy S2, and one Galaxy S3. I can say that the S1 and S2's still work like they were fresh out of the box. I am loving the GS3 ( had it just over a week) We keep screen protectors and cases on for basic protection, mostly fashion over function (no otterbox or bulky cases). My sister even ran over one of the S1's with her car and no damage, her case is one of the thicker tire tred style cases from ebay.

My nephew has an iphone 4s and has had the otterbox case on from day one, I can't say whether that is still performing well because I only hear about it when he has problems, not too often, but he has only had it 6 months. The biggest thing he complained about was how different it was from Android, he had a motorola cliq (actually 4 of them because they had to keep replacing them-do NOT get one of those).

All in all it is a personal decision, those who like Android will most likely adore the GS3 (especially after JB comes out), those who like the iPhone will continue to do so. How do you know what to pick, test drive or ask. You probably know alot of people with different phones, ask to touch and interact with the phones. Go to retail stores that carry phones from all providers and ask to see an actual live device, not the floor models. The more input the better. In the end you will be happier with your decision if you know what else is out there and how well (or not) it works.

Keep us posted on what you choose and why, it may help others who are on the fence.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the advice so far! That is surprising to hear about the GS1's, though it is good news. I really do enjoy android, though I am nowhere near as advanced as most users on this forum. I just really enjoy how the OS works. With that said, I also really enjoy the iOS, though it is less customizable and there is no option of swype (a big minus for me). Really the only thing keeping me from staying with android is the uncertainty of how long the GS3 will hold its amazing qualities and keep me happy.

I'm still going to wait until tomorrow when the iPhone comes out and I'll really be able to play with one and read some real reviews on it before I make my decision, I just want to settle any fears I have about the GS3 first.

Thanks again for the advice so far!

- Davis

Upvote 0
ive got friends myself that had the gs2 since they came out, they seem like they are going just as strong as the day they tore open the boxes! they are jealous of the s3 though...

you can customize/theme a jailbroken iphone, it is just a pain doing so, and if your not careful, you can lag it down like a vw beetle with 4 vikings in it.

granted you are on a android forum, and going to an apple forum will be a very similar response in light of the subject. but from me personally, dont drink the cool aid, just the capabilities of this phone alone stacked up to any iphone.... well to me it just doesnt seem worth it. though they do have their video over mms down (ive been reading) everything else, well, compare the two in hardware wise, specs, and once it comes out battery life, even then you may want to hold out on your decision because there will be an iphone 5s, just like cars, new platforms of generations are generally buggy, so soon afterwards the 2nd gen comes out, bigger, better, more efficient yet more power....

Upvote 0
Just a heads up, 9 times out of 10 wherever you go to purchase an iPhone 5 you'll most likely be waiting a few weeks at the very least, as I'd be willing to bet wherever they are sold they will be swamped with pre-orders which they will have to honor first. So if you want to get a new phone soon you might want to stick with Android. But, you do have to live with it for 2 years so it's worth the wait if its what you really want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones