• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long time android user, will be backpacking SE Asia...Unlocked phone?

Squid00

Lurker
Jun 4, 2011
I've been using the droid 1 since its inception, I'm going to be doing some extended travel (few months) in SE Asia.

From my understanding, I can get an unlocked phone (Nexus S), and then travel country to country popping in a new SIM card? Has anyone done this? Is this viable?

Any insight would be mucho appreciated.

Welcome to android forums, we are glad you are here. If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to ask, asking questions turns new members into experts.

As for your question, the answer is yes. As long as the phone uses a sim card, is a world phone, which every android is that I know of, and is unlocked. Get the phone unlocked, either form the carrier or from an unlock service, then just swap the sim cards and you are good to go. Have an unlocked Atrix from AT&T and when I travel to Canada, I swap the sim and everything is good to go. I do use an international world sim card, so it will work anywhere I get reception.

Reactions: Squid00
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones