• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long time coming...about @tommo47

I know some of you have wondered whatever happened to member @tommo47, and I felt like it's time to make it official. To the best of my knowledge, he died.

We were engaged in multiple times daily PMs for months. We shared personal information that we wouldn't want made public, and I have to be mindful of that as I choose my words.

The last I heard from him was on August 20th, just another, regular, daily PM, nothing to worry about. He finished it by asking me a question. I replied, and then heard nothing. I waited a couple of days, knowing he was ill, and tried again. Nothing.

As he posted in his thread, he had been diagnosed with, and was being treated for, esophageal cancer. This is where it gets tricky not to violate his trust. He had been given a very bad prognosis, but had assured me that he and his wife were dealing with it, and that he had no plans to give up on life. Then everything stopped.

Over the months I've tried contacting various places where he lives (in the UK), places he had mentioned in our PMs, like the hospital that was treating him and its associated nutritionists who were going to his house. I've come up empty. I understand medical privacy laws and everything, but I've also contacted shops that may have worked on his 'rig'--his prized Triumph motorcycle with the Watsonian sidecar, which was delivered on July 12, the day before his birthday. Empty there, too. I've searched obituaries and death notices but have not found anything there either.

My guess, and this is purely a guess, is that he died unexpectedly and unrelated to his cancer. Perhaps a heart attack or something like that. He absolutely was doing okay given the circumstances, and was super excited to have the rig he had dreamed about for years. He was looking forward....

I'd give a million dollars to be proven wrong. Nothing would please me more than to have tommo pop in and say, "how dare you declare me dead?!" But I don't think that's going to happen. :(

It's hard to say, Moody, especially without confirmation from someone who knew him personally. (See? Now you've got me talking about him in the past tense. :( ) I think your assumption is plausible, but I'd prefer to think he hit the lottery and is right now doing a world tour on his Triumph.

Upvote 0
It's hard to say, Moody, especially without confirmation from someone who knew him personally. (See? Now you've got me talking about him in the past tense. :( ) I think your assumption is plausible, but I'd prefer to think he hit the lottery and is right now doing a world tour on his Triumph.
I'd LOVE to agree, but given what I know about his condition, trust me, that's just not likely. I appreciate the levity, though! :D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I didn't know him as long as most.

I thought of Watsonian too, but you had no luck.

I'm sure if I ever get to that village, without causing a disturbance to his wife, people will know of him. I just couldn't get up there. No car anymore, along with job and funding problems.
I doubt if I ever can at the moment.

It's a shame Mrs Tommo couldn't see the enquiries and concern here, as some spouses do on forums in similar circumstances.

Rest in Peace Tommo. (1947 - 2020)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I want to clarify something: given what I know about his prognosis, it's virtually impossible that he could still be alive today. He was planning on announcing his prognosis in his thread, but needed some time to assimilate it first. And then it didn't happen.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I'm sure if I ever get to that village, without causing a disturbance to his wife, people will know of him.
If that time ever comes, and if you don't already know his and his wife's real names, PM me and I'll decide then whether to share them, okay? I don't want to break our unspoken pact about privacy, but if a real human could go there...I may bend the rules.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
If that time ever comes, and if you don't already know his and his wife's real names, PM me and I'll decide then whether to share them, okay? I don't want to break our unspoken pact about privacy, but if a real human could go there...I may bend the rules.

Maybe it won't be that difficult in the near future. I just wanted to leave flowers where he's resting, maybe a card at the door, and get some stories perhaps from villagers (though sooner would have been better). I would have let you know, and as you may have more ID info that will help (Chris, I know), though there's a little Poirot in me.
Thanks for the thread.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
When he got his really bad prognosis in August, I told him doctors aren't always right. I gave him the example of my aunt's sister, who was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer before I got sick. It metastasized throughout her body, despite aggressive treatment. She was given a few months to live. You know when she died? Last year! So she outlived her prognosis by several years. I was hoping we'd see something similar here.

If tommo's prognosis was correct, he'd have died late last fall. I'd offered to post about his prognosis in his thread if he wanted me to, but we still had time, and hadn't gotten there yet. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones