• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Long time to figure out network changes?

airprakken

Oct 31, 2008
Oregon
I live where there is no coverage of any kind (except WiFi) inside my house. I normally leave the phone dark (pressed hangup). If I carry it to town in that dark state and then try to use it, it seems to take a long time to figure out the network is available. Long enough that rebooting is faster -- sometimes several minutes. If I reboot (off, on), then it finds the network immediately.

Is anybody else seeing anything like this?

OK, the same thing happened today in this sequence:

- Phone at home with no phone or EDGE coverage in my house
- Turned off WiFi before I left
- Drove to nearby small town to take my mother to the store (snow)
- Sat in parking lot with excellent T-Mobile coverage: all bars on phone and instant EDGE
- Used phone for 15 minutes and the E icon at the top never came up. Tried kicking off Gmail synch and some other things to induce downloads -- nothing. Tried maps on my position -- found the position with GPS with no problem but no actual map due to no EDGE
- Turned phone off and on
- Got instant EDGE coverage and everything worked great

I would really like to hear from someone on this with at least a suggest how best to report it to the vendors: T-Mob or Google? Or both?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have the same issues. I'll have reception, then drive through an area with no reception and get the X on the signal bars. Then I'll continue driving and get to an area that I know has excellent reception, but the phone won't pick up on the signal until I restart it, or manually connect to the mobile network in the wireless settings. It's rather annoying :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones