1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Long time to figure out network changes?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by airprakken, Dec 19, 2008.

1. airprakken

airprakken Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Retired -- writing Android software
    Oregon
    I live where there is no coverage of any kind (except WiFi) inside my house. I normally leave the phone dark (pressed hangup). If I carry it to town in that dark state and then try to use it, it seems to take a long time to figure out the network is available. Long enough that rebooting is faster -- sometimes several minutes. If I reboot (off, on), then it finds the network immediately.

Is anybody else seeing anything like this?

Advertisement

2. airprakken

airprakken Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Retired -- writing Android software
    Oregon
    OK, the same thing happened today in this sequence:

- Phone at home with no phone or EDGE coverage in my house
    - Turned off WiFi before I left
    - Drove to nearby small town to take my mother to the store (snow)
    - Sat in parking lot with excellent T-Mobile coverage: all bars on phone and instant EDGE
    - Used phone for 15 minutes and the E icon at the top never came up. Tried kicking off Gmail synch and some other things to induce downloads -- nothing. Tried maps on my position -- found the position with GPS with no problem but no actual map due to no EDGE
    - Turned phone off and on
    - Got instant EDGE coverage and everything worked great

I would really like to hear from someone on this with at least a suggest how best to report it to the vendors: T-Mob or Google? Or both?

Thanks

3. Filament

Filament Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I have the same issues. I'll have reception, then drive through an area with no reception and get the X on the signal bars. Then I'll continue driving and get to an area that I know has excellent reception, but the phone won't pick up on the signal until I restart it, or manually connect to the mobile network in the wireless settings. It's rather annoying :(

4. johnnewhouse

johnnewhouse Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    i am currently flicking 'airplane mode' on and off to give it a kick start in getting reception back. its faster than turning the phone off and on.
    i normally lose reception (in an area with 2 bar coverage minimum) about 5 times a week.

Tags: