• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help long trip... bad power design

dradiinmmo

Lurker
May 14, 2011
I got my xoom a week ago, in preperation for a long trip. I will be in the air for 8 hours at a time.

My problem is my backup power supply only takes USB connections. I love my xoom. I cannot even contemplate using apple. This proprietary power cord flat out sucks.

I would pay a decent amount if someone made an adaptor that I could plug my xoom into a USB outlet.

Yes I know its a wattage issue but those existed with other devices, this just seems lazy.

I'm just out of luck in India... Bought the Xoom for a lightweight email platform for a business/pleasure trip for a month here. Power supply wasn't in my luggage when I arrived and spent several hours trying to get a replacement, including folks soldering up connections. No luck at all getting any plug to fit in the IT supply center in Delhi (Nehru Place, Delhi's Akihabara). No luck with Moto India, no other way to make it work, although it supposedly has been on sale here since the beginning of June. Tiny fragile (1.7mm, I think) coax connector is a ridiculous choice sticking out the bottom of the device, non-standard length, and high power - eliminates using micro USB as an alternate.

Had to rent a laptop to get by. This one goes back when I return.

Upvote 0
I'm just out of luck in India... Bought the Xoom for a lightweight email platform for a business/pleasure trip for a month here. Power supply wasn't in my luggage when I arrived and spent several hours trying to get a replacement, including folks soldering up connections. No luck at all getting any plug to fit in the IT supply center in Delhi (Nehru Place, Delhi's Akihabara). No luck with Moto India, no other way to make it work, although it supposedly has been on sale here since the beginning of June. Tiny fragile (1.7mm, I think) coax connector is a ridiculous choice sticking out the bottom of the device, non-standard length, and high power - eliminates using micro USB as an alternate.

Had to rent a laptop to get by. This one goes back when I return.

Doesn't Moto India sell the cigarette lighter power supply for the Xoom? I use mine all the time with an ac/cigarette lighter adapter and don't use my busted original charger anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones