• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Longer light on the 4 buttons on the bottom

When I'm using the phone in areas that are dark, the 4 buttons "option, home, back and search do not stay light for more that about 5 seconds.

Not long after buying my Fascinate I discovered that annoyance and began searching Market for an app that might address the issue: no luck at all.

The hope is that it'll be fixed in some wonderful forthcoming update.

Upvote 0
Why Samsung would make it so short is beyond me. Hopefully it'll be fixed with our Magical, Mythical 2.2 update...lol

If this doesn't get fixed, I doubt I'll ever buy another samsung product on principle alone.

it's not that I dislike their products but to me, not having this as a user-defined setting is a bit ridiculous. I've had LOTS of cell phones over many years and for as far back as I can recall there was some sort of "backlight time" option.
(of course my first few phones didn't have this option I bet but I don't remember that far back! :) )

Upvote 0
Why Samsung would make it so short is beyond me. Hopefully it'll be fixed with our Magical, Mythical 2.2 update...lol

Right, and if everyone on the planet jumped at exactly the same time, the world would explode or whatever.
icon7.gif

Upvote 0
what i dont get is why they dont light up when you wake up the phone. thats when i would like to see them. having them light up after i push them does me no good.

Hahaha, you know, you are right, that makes no dang sense what so ever. You ever like lose your keys or something, and while you are looking for them, someone asks "Okay, where is the last place you had them", i mean HELLO! if i knew where the last place i had them was, i wouldn't be effing looking for them, haha.

Upvote 0
Hahaha, you know, you are right, that makes no dang sense what so ever. You ever like lose your keys or something, and while you are looking for them, someone asks "Okay, where is the last place you had them", i mean HELLO! if i knew where the last place i had them was, i wouldn't be effing looking for them, haha.

exactly, my friend has a samsung phone that i think is the Epic. The lights do show when you wake his up, makes no sense that fascinate doesnt.

Upvote 0
Agreed, have had mine now for 2 fays love it but nothing is perfect, even a Lexus. It is annoying which should be fixed with sw. What can not be fixed it the power button opposite the volume. Several times grabbing the power results in an equaland oppoosite push of the volume. I leave my phin on vibrate and can not have it go off in certain settings I am in. This thing gets switched. I will need to let it auto time out which I can set and not manually turn it off- annoyance. None of this is worthy of a return. We'll see about the GPS which seems to be good once locked when outdoors.

Upvote 0
Well I admit there are flaws with this phone but I have to say I really am liking it so far. I went from a Blackberry Tour to the first Droid to the Incredible to the iphone 4 to the Droid 2 to the Droid X and think I have found my home on the Fascinate.....at least until the next round of phones appears :)

Upvote 0
i realize this would be more suited for the root forum, but since its a topic here.....
wasupwithhuman at xda posted a mod to enable the keys to stay lit up for 15 seconds instead of 3.

you need root and clockwork mod to do it. thats all i ll say on the subject but

[MOD] Extended Soft Key Backlight - xda-developers

if you want more info :cool:

Great find, nitsuji.
icon14.gif

I'm going to link to it in the Rooting Guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones