• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking at choices

Steve,

This is also my very first smart phone.

This phone is in some aspects GREAT and in some aspects OK.

If you are even remotely technically savvy with a computer, this phone is spectacular. The functionality far exceeds iPhone or BlackBerry in most respects. It organizes my life and keeps track of things for me. I constantly, literally, stun my friends with what I can and do do with this phone.

If you are technically very very weak, it is a little bit tougher. It is worth going through quite a few settings to ensure good battery life (unless you're going to buy a Seidio battery, which I am going to get the 3500mAh one), and worth keeping on the charger once per day (extends battery life to avoid full discharge/recharges).

It is SLIGHTLY quirky, and once in a while, if you download way too many apps or have a handful of really big ones running at once, your phone can make you wonder what it's up to.

I think this is the best phone, hands down, that Verizon has to offer. Sense UI makes using it (in my opinion) better and sleeker than iPhone in most ways. (sense UI is something the 'droid' doesn't have, but the Eris does).

I wouldn't give this phone to Grandma (but I would give her an iPhone, for example. it's a little easier). But my friend's entire family got this phone (including his non-tech savvy parents and sister) and they all love it. I sold my non-technical brother on it, as well as several other friends.

Everyone who has it, completely loves it.

Good luck with it.

And FWIW, It's a great adventure. Beware though, you will waste TONS OF TIME playing with your phone, unexpectedly. It's addicting. Don't stop paying attention to work/girlfriend/family!

Upvote 0
The Eris is my first smart phone, my last phone was the LG Dare. I think it to be extremely user friendly. I am not very technically advanced :rolleyes: and I find this phone to be easy to use and its fun to set up to my personal preferences! I love how customizeable it is compared to the iphone. And I feel so connected now, having the email and internet available right inside my purse. Plus, its just tons of fun!! Half the fun is being challenged and then figuring it out either on your own or with the use of this forum.

Upvote 0
This is my first smart phone, my previous was an antiquated flip phone. I LOVE this phone! I consider myself better than average in the tech savvy category, so getting around and using the phone has been a breeze. Before I decided to get a smart phone (the data charge held me back in the past), I knew I would like having one. However, I never thought I would love it this much. :)

Upvote 0
awesome responses....I love forums like this. I currently have an ENVY3 and are looking at getting the Eris. I am going to stop on my way home tonight and take a look. Keep the comments coming, and thanks a ton for the ones that have been posted already!!!!

I have been reading quite a bit about the OS upgrade on this forum as well. This phone does look pretty amazing. I did look at the other Droid, but I really didn't like the qwerty keyboard.

Thanks again for all of your replies,

Steve

Upvote 0
Although I absolutely LOVE my Eris, I would have to say that it's not exactly new user friendly.
The phone itself is of a great design and Sense does a great job of making things simpler. However, android itself still seems, IMO, to still be an engineer's OS. I consider myself to be very technically literate and am in fact a civil engineer, the android UI just seems to hide things. Granted, now that I've sort of gotten the feel for how things tend to go, it is MUCH easier and I absolutely love it, it just stakes some getting used to.

Upvote 0
It is a fairly easy phone to use, but I've had it for just over 2 months now and I'm still learning new things about the phone so it's definetly not as easy to use as my LG Dare or an Iphone but it is in my opinion easier to use then my BB Curve (I hate this phone with an extreme passion , other then BB Messanger and the Email program I don't get why people have these things. I've had it for 9months and I can't fiqure out how to change the messange tone haha)

Upvote 0
The Eris is a pretty Decent phone.

I recommend it over the Droid, BB storm, Imagio or any of verizon's smartphones offering just because it's the simplest of all the phones while doing the majority of what they do.

My only issues with it are lags and battery life but from the forums, apparently I am not giving this phone a 100% chance....

I have the palm pre which i also recommend you check out but to be honest, in most aspects the Eris is better and i'm sure whatever questions you have so many more people in this forum will help you.

Upvote 0
this is my 1st smart phone. ive had it almost a week. if it wasnt for this place, i think i would still be a little lost. but reading stuff on here and sitting with my phone in hand at the same time has helped me A LOT! still some things im trying to figure out, some things i want to change, but im sure ill get there eventually!

Upvote 0
Well, after researching this and other phone to the point where I didn't know what end was up anymore, I just ordered the Eris. I am sure it's not the best phone, but it really seems to fit what I am looking for with the cheapest price point.

Thank you for all of your posts, I am looking forward to getting my phone and going through the features with the help of this forum.

Steve

Upvote 0
Well, after researching this and other phone to the point where I didn't know what end was up anymore...

Steve-
I totally relate!!! I feel like I'm in an obsessed loop trying to find the right device. I had almost finalized Eris when it appears that my work may be taking me abroad again...and now I need to think about GSM/global compatibility! Arrrgh!

Still, it looks to be about 95% perfect, which I think is about as close as anything will ever get. You got free Google Maps in there which is just an amazing freebee and with 2.1 upgrade (whenever that happens!) you'll get turn-by-turn directions along with that!

Display is good, you have pinch-to-zoom, browser is good, home screens/widgets/apps all good. Battery life can be solved.
Damm- I've convinced myself again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones