1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Looking @ Car Mounts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jonmchugh, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jonmchugh

jonmchugh Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    I purchased this vent mount (iGrip Universal Fit Vent Mount - Android Car Mounts - Android Central Store) and it works pretty well...just one funny thing though, when you squeeze the mount to grip the phone, just don't go too tight--it pushes on the volume controls and can set your phone to vibrate...it was funny at the time...:)

3. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    I think most of the mounts are pretty cheasy, plus the cupholder and vent isn't a good spot.(at least on my car) I bought a $3 belt clip on ebay and bend a piece of aluminum to mount it to.

Attached Files:

4. ksyrium

ksyrium Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    MA, USA
    I've been very happy with one of these:

FlexSmart FM Transmitter and Charger Car Mount for MOTOROLA DROID SmartPhones

The features I was looking for that it has:

• Integrated FM transmitter ("remembers" chosen frequency even when off)
    • Plugs directly in to lighter socket (did not want to have to glue a mount or use a vent clip)
    • Adjustable neck
    • Adjustable device holder (works well with Eris)
    • Ability to charge device
    • USB port (for charging other items like a headset)
    • Reasonable build quality

This particular mount satisfies all of these requirements and has held up well over several months of daily use :)

5. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    so. east, usa
    that one looks pretty sweet and reasonably cheap. So it plugs into and is mounted from the cig. lighter. Nice. I never had a need for a car mount until recently when I gave my gps to my daughter so now sometimes I need to use the phone gps. I bought a cheap, under $10, vent mount from walmart. Does ok and is pretty stable but I don't like that it blocks the vent. I might have to look into the one you posted.

6. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    A long time ago, I bought a vent mounted cell phone holder from the dollar store. Its worked great for everything from my Ipod to my eris over the years. No need to spend 20$ on a piece of plastic.

7. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Miranda
  8. prj

prj Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I have that one also. Works great. Picked it up on Amazon for $20

9. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mississippi
    I would love to have something like this, seeing how I want an FM transmitter for my phone, but all the transmitters I've ever encountered were sub par at best. No matter what station they were set to, I always got static. :(

10. ksyrium

ksyrium Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    MA, USA
    Right. I would describe The FM transmitter in this unit as adequate, depending on how particular you are. I don't have any other way to "connect" my phone to the car's audio system (no Aux input) so I'm willing to compromise. I was concerned because the antenna in my car is in the rear so I thought the distance from the transmitter to the antenna would be an issue but that does not seem to make a difference.

The overall sound quality is ok but certainly not at the quality level of the CD player. I did notice that when the phone is plugged in to charge, that there is some extra noise/static that can be heard. But if the phone is not plugged in, then the signal is pretty clear.

11. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Miranda
    ^^ I finally broke down and bought a new stereo for my truck with an aux in.

150$ for stereo + install, and now my long drives have been changed forever. not too bad considering I've spent 60 or 70 bucks over the last few years on different/more powerful fm transmitters that didn't work.