1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

looking desperately for a tablet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by visualuser, Jan 19, 2016.

1. visualuser

visualuser Lurker

I am a little bit confused where to put my questions so please excuse me if i choose wrong section.

Some info about me,
    I am a school teacher and books are very heavy, fortunately most of them are excist in Pdf's
    so i am trying to leave it in home and work with the class with a tablet and pdf files.
    I need to open the lessons in a big screen - like 10 inches - and keep some small notes in each chapter.
    E.g. today i teach this pages by this and this day, or this paragraph is for the next exams.
    Little and small notes or maybe underline somes lines. (pdf's are approximately50-100 mb)
    Of course finally, all these changes must save for later uses.

My questions is that i dont know what i need - what to buy.
    I need a simple tablet about 100 euro? and some addional software?
    Or something else?

Anybody can help me with all this mess? [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. svim

svim Extreme Android User

This is just my opinion but I think in an educational setting a laptop is much better option than a tablet. There are pro and con arguments for one over the other but the one issue that I find to be a challenge on tablets is the virtual keyboard. For occasionally typing it's not much of an issue but for anything that requires a lot of typing, with punctuation marks and numbers, I find a physical keyboard to work out better than a virtual one.
    Also, and this pertains to the U.S., school districts get pretty good educational discounts from computer companies so teachers and staff can often buy their gadgetry through their schools at really good prices. (This includes software at volume licensed discounts too.) I don't know if this also applies in the E.U., is there a tech coordinator or someone in that kind of position at your school? They should be able give you more information. Another aspect here in the U.S. is public schools need to comply with CIPA (Children's Internet Protection Act) guidelines so things like content filtering are a big issue. Some school districts put restrictions or at least have rules in place for staff using their own devices for both personal and work needs. Again, I have no clue if this is the same in the E.U.

whitehat likes this.
  3. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

100 euros?? that is too low of a budget..
    anything you get at that price will cause you more headaches.

10 inch tablets.. a decent one.. will cost more. at least $350 (older model)
    you will also need a Bluetooth keyboard.. $50

4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

If cost is a major factor, at the very least I'd suggest a Chromebook. Tablets in schools are OK as far as lower level grades but once you're dealing with older kids it's hardly the optimal device. And for teachers, it's not just dealing with educational content but they're now burdened with a lot of administrative work too.