1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking for a good unlocked android phone for my son

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by okiegirl85, Oct 20, 2014.

1. okiegirl85

okiegirl85 Lurker

I'm looking for a good unlocked, low cost, 4GLTE android phone with a long battery life and good for gaming for my son to use on the Verizon network. Right now he is using a Sony Xperia Play and has never been happy with it. I have done a lot of looking so far and I'm afraid to end up with a phone that has everything we want but is slow or doesn't have enough internal memory. We have been with Verizon for many years and have an old plan that is no longer offered (REAL unlimited internet) and if we upgrade his phone with them, we lose our old plan. This is where the cost factor comes in.

I found one phone offered by Walmart (I like to purchase from them because they offer extended warranty plans that are really useful).
    BLU Studio 5.5 S D630u GSM Dual-SIM Android Cell Phone (Unlocked), White . This phone has a 4GB memory. Is this the rom or rom and card?:thinking:

Can anyone offer advice? I'm not real tech savvy and could use all the help I can get.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That's a budget Chinese phone. 4GB is the total internal storage, it's very likely have less than 2GB available for the user. Which can be a problem if your son is likely to be installing many apps and games, and some games can be over a 1GB, e.g. Asphalt 8. Music, photos and videos can be stored on an SD card, if added. Also if your carrier/network is Verizon, which is CDMA/EVDO, this phone being GSM/HSDPA won't work on it. You'd have to use a GSM carrier with it, like ATT.

Don't quite know what's available where you are, with me being in China. Maybe have a look at Samsungs.

3. okiegirl85

okiegirl85 Lurker

Thank you, that's very helpful info. I'll keep looking.

4. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

The Verizon part is going to be the limiting factor here. The Moto G LTE would have been good, except for the gaming part, as it has a slower processor and less RAM.

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi okiegirl85, I moved your thread to the Device Comparisons forum :)

You can get a used Verizon Moto X (2013 model) for around $200 on Swappa.

What is your price limit?