1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking for a keyboard alternative

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Arcano, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Arcano

Arcano Lurker

Aug 6, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a good alternative keyboard, for my Nexus one, I'm currently using the stock keyboard and its a bit annoying to use.

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I bought better keyboard, I like the skins for it and the auto correct seems to work better than stock.

3. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Have a look on SmartKeyboard (Pro).

Harry

4. Arcano

Arcano Lurker

Aug 6, 2010
    saw some pics of it shame I cant buy apps from the market due to my country location

5. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2010
    England
  6. viva.fidel

viva.fidel Newbie

Aug 24, 2010
    Forget all the other keyboards, get Swype! The beta release you can all over google expired for me the other day, so I found a fixed version of the one on the Samsung Galaxy S that works on my HTC Desire.. try googling for version 7337

7. chrlswltrs

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I tried swype for about a week and I never thought it was that great. I removed it from my X because I am still way faster on a touch keyboard.

8. bjo16

bjo16 Lurker

Jun 30, 2010
    where do you find this swype keyboard? i type in swipe on my droid in the market search but nothing comes up.

9. chrlswltrs

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I tried a beta version on my Droid that I downloaded from the web and didn't really like it. Then I gave it another try because it comes preinstalled on the Droid X and I still didn't like it so I removed it since I am rooted.

10. aquastorm

aquastorm Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Well if you are looking for the fastest keyboard for Android it is without a doubt swype. Others may say they don't like it as I didn't at first either because we're used to tapping each letter so swype takes some getting used to BUT there is no way anyone can type a sentence as quickly using a traditional tap each letter keyboard.

11. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Android Expert

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    No it isn't. I used it for over a month during the beta and when it ended and I was forced to use the stock keyboard I quickly realized how much more I liked it than Swype even though I thought it was the fastest. I was wrong. The stock keyboard gets the speed edge becuase I don't have to type every letter of each and every word. If the word is a short one the speed difference is negligible. The longer the word is though the quicker the stock keyboard is because I can type a couple letters then pick it from the list. Just like that I'm on to the next word. That coupled with the fact that I can type a letter here and there and stop to do something else and return to my message made it better for me. If I'm typing something and I look up all I have to do is stop typing. With Swype I need to finish that word before I can stop or it will just put the closest word to that one in it's place. Swype is a whole lot of hype but then again Steve Jobs has created a fortune based off of hype so I'm not surprised if this takes over as the #1 keyboard in mobile devices. I personally don't like it more than original way after MUCH use.

12. eseer

eseer Lurker

Jul 6, 2010
    Google SwiftKey and watch the video. I find it to be faster than Swype or SlideIT because it does such a great job of predicting text. Often I type the first few letters of the first word, tap the suggested word, then the next suggested word, then the next, and so on. Honestly, a lot of texts use commonly recurring words or phrases, and SwiftKey makes entering those phrases one-tap-per-word fast (after typing 3 or 4 letters of the first word). I've often been able to type an entire sentence with just a handful of taps. It's well worth a test-drive.

13. DroidXer1

DroidXer1 Lurker

Aug 23, 2010
    Florida
    Head over to xda-developers and do a search for HTC_ime. I'm using it on my droidx and I love it.

14. Jon Davis

Jon Davis Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    SwiftKey 3..... Bar None.
    When I did the hard reset it took me forever to get setup with Google play and download SwiftKey. All using the stock keyboard. After a while SwiftKey learns your style and seems to predict every other word.
    There is a small short learning curve but after that you can fly!
    Jon

15. sniktawm

sniktawm Lurker

Jul 4, 2012
    Smart Keyboard Pro. I've tried others and this is the best imho. You can install the trial version first to test it out. I decided to buy it.