• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a new phone

Currently I have a Galaxy 7, and curse the non-removable battery which dies at 72%. Now, I'm looking at specs for new phones and find that many are removing the headphone jacks as well. are there any decent current phones out there with a removable battery and a headphone jack? Why do android manufacturers feel the need to follow in the worst footsteps of apple? or are the specs just listed incorrectly here?

Reactions: psionandy
Just a thought... But it's normally possible to replace non replaceable batteries.

Ifixit.com is a wonderful site. They will even show you what tools you need.
Just a caveat, this only applies to some models, most definitely not all. Some manufacturers opt to use a lot of glues and adhesives, and some require a complete tear-down of the phone itself. Without all the proper tools and equipment (i.e. heat gun or heat pads) replacing a 'non-replaceable' battery might also involve replacing the display or the motherboard as they might be bonded together.
Luckily the S7 isn't that bad but it isn't a viable project without the necessary tools:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S7+Battery+Replacement/90299

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
They invented a car that you can drive with a joystick.

In the 50's.

We still have steering wheels.

Time moves on and hopefully we can all evolve with it instead of holding on to conventions of the past. Just say'n.

OK, so legit, we need more info than you have given. There are hundreds of phones with removable battery and a headphone jack. But most of them are underpowered, outmatched and outdated when compared to the flagship phones, which 90% of them are NONremovable battery and have omitted the headphone jack. Why? Because high end buyers want waterproofing and more stuff. (Bigger batteries, new components, new functions.)

Anyway, what exactly are you looking for?

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
They invented a car that you can drive with a joystick.

In the 50's.

We still have steering wheels.

which goes to show that not every "innovation" should catch on.

OK, so legit, we need more info than you have given. There are hundreds of phones with removable battery and a headphone jack. But most of them are underpowered, outmatched and outdated when compared to the flagship phones, which 90% of them are NONremovable battery and have omitted the headphone jack. Why? Because high end buyers want waterproofing and more stuff. (Bigger batteries, new components, new functions.)

Anyway, what exactly are you looking for?

Basically an S9 with a removable battery, SD card and a headphone jack and "cheap" materials. `I want the power and speed without the crap that makes me hate my phone. battery goes dead, I want to be able to swap the battery out by popping off the back. Want to listen to music? I want to be able to plug in my aux cable to my car or use headphones. I also don't want the back of the phone to shatter if I drop it(bad enough that can happen to the screen). So, I want all the performance of today's phones with the convenience of yesterday's. I don't need it to be waterproof, I'm not going scuba diving with it, it just needs to not short out when a drop of water hits it. I may just be venting here, there is probably not going to be a phone out there that suits me anymore.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
which goes to show that not every "innovation" should catch on.
...there is probably not going to be a phone out there that suits me anymore.

My feelings, exactly, when my old S5 died last year.
So what did I do?...found me another S5, and when it decides to die... hopefully someone has come up with one with your specs.

Upvote 0
Both price and user-removable battery are because the V20 is a 2016 handset. If you want something more recent there's nothing that does all 3 that I can think of.

You can get a metal body and headphone jack with OnePlus. The Sony Xperia XZ1 also has both. But I can't think of anything that meets all of your criteria. The Galaxy S series' curves probably make them the most vulnerable of the glass-bodied phones, so Samsung probably aren't where you want to look.

Materials will probably change again, that's as much fashion as anything (though probably not back to plastic). But forget about the removable battery: dwelling on that will only frustrate you, because that really is gone.

But I don't know how you killed the S7 battery that quickly - my previous phone (with a sealed battery) was nowhere near that bad at more than twice the age of your S7. Might be bad luck, but if you do things like regularly run it flat, or use it heavily when charging, it might be that changing your habits will help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones