1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

looking for a no frills smart phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bakwaas, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bakwaas

bakwaas Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Hii,

I am looking for a small touch screen phone. I am not a huge fan of either OS or any hardware. I am looking for the following

a)ability to sync tasks/access google tasks
    b)ability to access gmail, browse websites
    c)ability to use google voice, as a replacement for a normal cellphone. What I mean is that I want to purchase this phone at full price, and then use Google voice and the data plan provided(preferable $15 data plan from AT&T) to call other phone
    d)as cheap as possible
    e)if possible refurbished
    f)ability to access local wifi as well as 3g
    g)a reasonable amount of storage, camera, and other features

Also I am looking for suggestions on which app is best to call directly from a cell phone using GV without using the cell phone minutes and purely using wife or the data plan.

Could somebody give me any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    do you think.. you can get this to work on a monthly fee of $15 for data only???

if so .. stop.. you can not do it.

bakwaas likes this.
  3. operant

operant Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    1) You're gonna need an unlimited data plan for a smartphone. Off the top of my head I cannot think of an exclusive one like that that does not package minutes. Your best bet is buying the cheapest plan possible with fewest minutes and an unlimited data package. Having minutes can be good anyway - what happens if you have an emergency but data isn't working, gv has an error, etc.
    2) I'd recommend verizon over AT&T but look online at the different plans and phones available.
    3) You may not like either OS as far as iOS and android is concerned as much as you'd like but if you're using google voice, iOS is out of the discussion. Besides, if you're using a google service why wouldn't you get the operating system madenby google. You'll get the newest updates and a much more customizable OS which will allow you to ignore the frills and make a very simple setup.
    4) A smartphone by default has frills - kind of what a smartphone is.
    5) For verizon I'd go with a Droid x, or if you're willing to wait a Droid bionic or the htc thunderbolt. For AT&T I'd look at the atrix, aria, captivate, or inspire.

I guess the best thing you can do is go into the stores, play around with the phones and see which one feels best for you. Because in all reality its all about what feels best in your hand or which manufacturer you like the best. Google voice is pretty much gonna work the same on all of them.

bakwaas likes this.
  4. bakwaas

bakwaas Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    You are right. I cant do it the way I originally thought. The truth is I dont even need 3g. For around 95% of my 24 hours I am within high speed wifi area.

From what I understand right now, these are some possible ways

a)2: setup some sort of VoIP/SIP account and migrate it with your GV account, use SIPdroid, or CSIPSimple, r NetDial (w/e you want) and connect to your VoIP/SIP Provider, or local PBX (in my case) and handle all calls over data only with that option.

b)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nmen...eature=related

c)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dx8a...1&feature=fvwp

The above options (b) and (c) are possibly similar to (a), though I didnt completely understand (a).

(d) Skype, though it seems from the Skype website it seems Skype runs only on 3g Verizon and not on wifi. Hopefully there is some hack outthere to enable skype through wifi, such as by using fring. However, I am not sure whether phone numbers can be called using fring using SkypeOut or something like that.

At present I am thinking of going with At&t, (1) because At&t has very good coverage in my area (2) I already have a gophone account with AT&t, and from what I understand after conversations with At&t customer service the gophone sim card can also be used with the contract smart phones, if I buy them at full price (or get it from ebay) and replace the sim card. That way I would use the gophone account if I ever needed to call somebody when I am outside of wifi range and use the wifi for calling in normal situation.

5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I believe you can do the following:

1) buy an Android phone off craigslist, ebay, etc. this will cover the syncing of your google-based data, and you should be able to get something for cheap. The original Motorola Droid comes to mind, especially if you plan to root.

2) activate the phone with your carrier of choice with a voice-only plan (not sure if all carriers allow this). This will allow you to make phone calls. I had my blackberry on voice only with Sprint.

3) enable wifi on your Android. You'll be getting your data from your hotspot, not from the cell towers. Everything will still work, including the ability to talk and surf at the same time.

bakwaas likes this.
  6. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    If you're intent on using the $15 AT&T plan, just get an unlocked T-mobile phone, preferably one that also has the 3G bands for AT&T like the Motorola Defy or Samsung Vibrant. AT&T won't be able to detect the phone so you should be good to go with an unlimited dumb phone plan.