• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for a Pink Theme

BenDroid

Jan 8, 2010
Okay, I have been trying to get Froyo Kangerade 5.0.9 (PinkLife) running on my wifes newly rooted phone for about 3 hours now. I am getting major issues with this ROM. Random reboots, no wifi connection, etc. I have tried different kernals. I have wiped, wiped, wiped, and reflashed and have gotten no luck. Not really a feasible ROM for my wife. She really wants something girly (pink) and really liked the look of the Kangerade one but I just can't figure it out. So I am needing to move on to something else. Maybe CM or BB but I want to see if anyone knows of a good theme that I could use.

Thanks

Ben

Try JRummy's (creator of Kangerade) newer ROM. It's called Lithium Mod and is available here. It's more stable than Kangerade in my opinion, very fast and has gotten great ROM reviews so far.

It has both a Purple Passion and the PinkLife theme available for it.

Alternatively, you can just flash a different kernel to her phone. Random reboots and wifi issues are almost always a result of the kernel, not the ROM itself. I recommend Chevy's kernels. They have always been very stable for me. Try the lower voltage kernels first, and if it's not stable, switch to standard voltage.

Upvote 0
Alright ... scratch that...I am not having luck with any ROM I have tried so far. Let me explain how I rooted her phone from the beginning. My phone has been rooted since 2.0.1 so messing around with RSD Lite was a little new but was fairly simple to use.

Okay, so from stock 2.1 on her phone, I used RSD Lite to flash SP Recovery to her phone. I then used it to install the update.zip file required for root access. I verified that I had superuser. I then made a nandroid backup of her phone now with root access.
From there I purchased and installed Rom Manager Premium (for easier downloading and installation). I first tried the latest Kangarade. (Wiped Data and Cache). System came up like normal. Waited for everything to resync. When it was done I did some general checks to make sure everything was running right. First thing I noticed was no Wifi connection. The connection is there but it will not connect. It will just connect then disconnect then scan over and over again. (Wifi works no prob on my phone). I thought it might have something to do with the Kernel so I installed a couple of different ChevyNo1 kernels with no change. I did all this while getting constant random reboots.

So, I decided that there must be something with the ROM. I just tried flashing the most stable ROM I have ever used on my phone BB 0.4 and low and behold I am getting the same problems.

Am I missing something? I can't seem to find anything that is running stable on her phone. Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks

Ben

Upvote 0
Try loading a ROM and skipping the sign in by clicking in each corner of the screen beginning in the upper left in a clockwise direction. Then try setting up the wifi prior to having any apps installed. That's about the only thing I can think of to try. Although unlikely the only difference I can think of between your phone and your wife's phone is apps. And with 2.2 apps auto install, by skipping the sign in the apps will not install.

Upvote 0
You are wiping before installing these ROM's, correct? Also, I don't know how much difference it would make, but are you still on SPRecovery, or did you switch her to Clockwork?

I should have said something about that. I have actually tried installing it both ways seeing if it would make a difference. I have just backed up to Kangerade (I made a clockwork backup) and I have let it sit for a while. Just started messing with again. Everything seems to be running fine for now. Wifi still doesn't work. I am not sure if a different Kernel will fix that or not. The funny thing is I never really checked to see if her phone worked with Wifi before I rooted/rom'd it.

I think one of the problems might have been that I did not set it down long enough after the initial setup to allow it to complete boot up and sync up (I did wait until the sync icon was gone). The phone was still sluggish for a bit, but letting it just sit there after a reboot may have solved everything but the wifi...no clue on that one. Would a kernel affect that at all?

Upvote 0
Try loading a ROM and skipping the sign in by clicking in each corner of the screen beginning in the upper left in a clockwise direction. Then try setting up the wifi prior to having any apps installed. That's about the only thing I can think of to try. Although unlikely the only difference I can think of between your phone and your wife's phone is apps. And with 2.2 apps auto install, by skipping the sign in the apps will not install.

Yea...that is what I did when tried BB v0.4. Everything seemed to be fine but within a few minutes after it booted up (or so it seemed) I started trying to check some settings (wifi) and received a random reboot on Bugless Beast.

I am really not sure what else to try. ChevyNo1 kernels have always been pretty good for my phone, but I know that all Droids are different so I may just try P3Droid or something else. All I know is that the stock kernel is not cutting it and neither is any of the kernels I have tried which have all been LV. Would trying ULV or Medium make a difference?

Upvote 0
If you're getting random reboots with a LV kernel, then her phone probably does not like low voltage. Try standard/medium voltage. I've had the same problem. My phone absolutely hates ULV kernels, and most LV's are unstable.

Yea...I may try a MV and see what results I get. I was able to run a quadrant on it earlier with a 800 mhz lv kernal by chevyNo1 and was pretty impressed with the 1100 score, but the random reboots are killing me because it takes it so long to fully reboot to the point where the phone can be used.

Thanks for the help. Do you think a change in kernel may help the wifi connectivity or is that something else?

Upvote 0
It should, technically. Wifi is something that is built into a kernel, and there have been several people who have reported broken wifi after updating their kernel to a different one. If it still doesn't work though, you may want to just try removing/forgetting the wifi network and re-adding it.

Yea...I removed it right when I realized it wouldn't connect to it. Then after the first initial rescan for Wifi it recognized it again so I tried to connect again and still got nothing.

On a further note. I am having to restore back to the original Nandroid and start over. I am not able to get this thing to work well with any ROM I have tried. It may be just one of those "NonRommable" Droids. Might restore it back to stock and just make up some story the "Proximity Sensor" or something and try and get an exchange and see what happens. I have rooted a ton of phones for friends and family and I have never run into anything like this.

Thank you for all your help though. If you think of anything else...please let me know.

Ben

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones