1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

looking for a radio app with a specific feature

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by mvkiel, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mvkiel

mvkiel Lurker

I'm new to having a smartphone and the options for apps is a little overwhelming and intimidating. I was hoping someone would be able to direct me to an app that satisfies what I'm looking for.

I need a music app that will play my local FM stations and has a built in reminder feature that will let me know when certain radio stations that i select are beginning.

This can be attached to another radio app or be a stand alone app.

Thx for the help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sierra255

Sierra255 Well-Known Member

The problem I've found with online radio apps is that there isn't just one that collects all of the online streams and allows you to play them. The station itself signs up with a certain service. The two main ones I know of are IHeartRadio and Radio.com. There are apps for both.

For the second part, I don't know of a radio app that has reminders. I know Radio.com doesn't and I don't remember seeing that feature on IHeartRadio. Someone else may be able to help you better than I can with that part. One thought I had is just setting up a reminder using the Alarm Clock on your phone since most shows start at the same time every day.

3. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert

Check out TuneIn Radio. You'll probably want to setup calendar reminders for your second part you're looking for.

4. mvkiel

mvkiel Lurker

Thx for the help and advice. Will look into your suggestions.

5. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

+1 for tunein

6. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast

Well this is impossible. A regular FM radio app will play your stations, but not remind you. Same with any other app, as FM radio is not digital, and there is no way to remind or give notification of when a station is "starting".

7. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

TuneIn does have a feature where you can look up particular shows to see when they're playing. However, none of the streaming apps have reminders like you suggested. Nonetheless, TuneIn is a great app for streaming many, many radio stations and webcasters throughout the world.

However, some over-the-air broadcasters have taken their streams off aggregators like TuneIn, in order to incorporate them into their own apps. Clear Channel puts all their stations on their IHeartRadio app, which is very good, IMO. Doesn't have reminders for particular shows, but it does offer continuous streams of certain ones (like local morning shows, talk shows, AT40 and others) for anytime listening.

CBS has recently done the same with their stations, incorporating them, along with Yahoo! Radio, into the radio.com and Yahoo! Radio apps. Unfortunately, these are not good. Very unstable, prone to excessive buffering, and the stream will stop for no reason whatsoever. In addition, CBS is very slow at correcting their mistakes and releasing updates. Since September, the last time they updated, their Android Market page has been flooded with complaints and scathing reviews from users. Considering that CBS owns, of all things, CNET, once the go-to site for downloads and tech news/reviews, this is extremely embarrassing.

In addition, Townsquare Media has their own app, which I believe is called Radio Pup. I know little about it, since Townsquare is a pretty small operator and doesn't really have the content to make a separate streaming app successful.

8. mj662

mj662 Lurker

I have an app for the iphone and ipad that will soon do this. BeautifulClockRadio com,

We only have one alarm now but will soon ad more alarms, each alarm can be programed to turn on one of the programable buttons so you can set an alarm for each show. i am thinking we will try to get 4 alarms and see how that works.

i am having a programer port it to android now but they seem to be slow and incompetent so it could be a while. i might need to find a new programer soon to get this app finished.

mark