• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a tablet and smartphone for my father...

darkmav

Nov 30, 2011
Hi,

I am in the (Indian) market looking for a tablet and smartphone for my father, because I'm headed to grad school in a few days and the devices would help us stay in touch. I personally use a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and a Samsung Galaxy S Duos, and am quite happy with the tablet (the phone has a lot of lag).

There are just too many options but some of the features he and I want are listed below:

Tablet: 10.1 inch at least, and a stylus is preferable. Calling feature isn't important.
But if the stylus isn't part of the tablet, then I'm willing to look at third party styluses provided that they are compatible with the tablet. But the tablet should have a reasonably good resolution to enable reading of e-books/newspapers/magazines, and of course should also be able to run Skype, Whatsapp and Hangouts.

Smartphone: again, it should have at least a 4.7 inch screen (higher, the better!), and should be powerful enough to run Skype, Whatsapp, Hangouts (which in its present form is particularly slow sometimes on my Samsung S Duos).

So I was wondering if someone has used the GoSmart Stylus and whether it is compatible with non-iPad tablets? Specifically would it work with the Sony Xperia 10.1" Tablet?

I'd appreciate any inputs. These are the options available to me for smartphones:

Smartphones Mobiles - Buy Smartphones Mobiles Online at Best Prices in India - Mobiles & Accessories | Flipkart.com

and these are the options available for tablets:

Tablets - Buy Tablets Online at Best Prices in India - Mobiles & Accessories | Flipkart.com

Thanks in advance!

Kinda easy, Note 10.1 and a Galaxy S3/S4. A Galaxy Mega would be cheaper than either Galaxy S version though, and would probably be more than what your Dad needs. Or if you go Sony, take the Tablet Z and an Xperia Z. I'd suggest going for same brand devices so as to reduce the confusion. Icons are different between brands due to the manufacturer skins. And not only icons, but features and settings may be different.

Reactions: darkmav
Upvote 0
Kinda easy, Note 10.1 and a Galaxy S3/S4. A Galaxy Mega would be cheaper than either Galaxy S version though, and would probably be more than what your Dad needs. Or if you go Sony, take the Tablet Z and an Xperia Z. I'd suggest going for same brand devices so as to reduce the confusion. Icons are different between brands due to the manufacturer skins. And not only icons, but features and settings may be different.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for me to get him an 4G LTE-capable device. Do any of the Samsung/LG/HTC devices in the Indian market have 4G support?

I know for a fact that the Sony Xperia Z Tablet and the Sony Xperia Z Ultra do. But I couldn't get any information about other manufacturers.

Also, are any of these devices known to work with styluses like the GoSmart stylus? Again I could get no information. My father and I like the stylus on the Galaxy Note 800 (10.1) but it would be good to have a working stylus on the Xperia Z Tablet (10.1"). The ultra boasts of being able to work with any pencil or pen. Is this true of the 10.1" tablet too?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones