• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

looking for a widget/app/sc to lock screen

The Screen Off App for Android is an icon that you can tap from your homescreen to quickly turn off your screen. This lets you lock your screen without pressing your power button.

You can check out the Screen Off App for Android in the Android Marketplace by tapping here from your Android Phone, searching for "screen off" in the Android Marketplace, or using the QRCode below with the Barcode Reader app.

screen_off_qrcode.png

The Android operating system does not let developers make your phone immediately go to sleep like your power button can; however, this application does the next best thing and makes sure that your phone goes to sleep as quickly as possible and that you do not accidentally press anything on your screen while your phone is going to sleep.

You should not notice any changes your current power settings (brightness, screen timeout, etc.) when you open your phone again; you will be on the lock screen just as if you had pressed the power button!

If you have any questions, issues, or requests, please reply to this thread, leave comments on my blog, or email me at konreu@gmail.com.

Upvote 0
It is true that I am happy to accept PayPal for WidgetLocker.

However, I believe the OP is not looking for a lock screen replacement, but instead wants an icon to click to activate the lock screen. WidgetLocker includes this, but it will only activate the WidgetLocker Lock Screen, not any security (Pattern/pin/password) you may have setup.

To enable the system lock screen with a shortcut/widget I recommend:
Android 2.2:
Lock Screen Widget
Lock Screen Widget - Android app on AppBrain

For Android < 2.2:
LockEnabler
LockEnabler - Android app on AppBrain

And if you do want a replacement lock screen then of course I recommend WidgetLocker which you can get for $2 USD by PayPal to kevin@teslacoilsw.com. I will then email you the APK and future updates. Note WidgetLocker requires Android 2.1 or higher.

Reactions: praveen6585
Upvote 0
hi guys,
im in the market for this type of widget too - i have Kevin's Widget Locker which is a great app as it allows me to sleep/lock the screen without having to enter pin code all the time while at home etc - but it needs the pin lock timeout set to immeditate for it to allow phones pin lock to work

so im looking for another widget/app that will immediately trigger the pin lock for say when im out etc and definitely want my phone locked - sounds like the Screen off widget might do it - ive emailed the dev about this

cheers
dan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones