• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for an accurate walking GPS tracker

d12bn

Dec 5, 2009
I have tried 2 GPS trackers and both were not accurate for measuring distance. I used My Tracks and Cardio Trainer. I really like Cardio Trainer but it adds 3 tenths of a mile for every mile. My Tracks was off as well.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has had good luck with another app?

Thanks

How do you know they are not accurate?

Using my car and a Garmin my mileage is very close, my car shows 1.0 mile, Garmin .99 miles while the Cardio Trainer was at 1.3 miles

So if I walk a 5k which is 3.1 miles measured with my car the Cardio Trainer was showing 4 miles.

I live in an area that is very flat with very little trees, GPS signal showing strong on the phone. And it was a perfect clear day today.

I have a feeling no app will be much better. I've read on some sites that the GPS hardware in the phones are weak and will cause issues.

Upvote 0
I use Sportstracker, and it seems really accurate. With my Hero in my pocket, it still manages to track my average speed quite well. It's accurate enough even to show which side of the street I'm walking on.

It also has a few features like allowing you to upload your track, and see others, but either they dont have a very large user base yet, or they dont do any localized filtering. That part of it could use some work, but all in all, I like it.

Upvote 0
Hi d12bn,

You're totally right in that all smartphone applications that use GPS can only be as good as the their hardware. The inaccuracies in tracking that you're experiencing with CardioTrainer are most likely caused by a weak GPS signals, but we're working on a few different ways to improve the accuracy (using things like more advanced filtering and the pedometer). In the meantime I would check out this question in our FAQ for some more information.

Thanks for asking, let us know if you have any more questions!

Best regards,
Charlie on behalf of the WorkSmart family

Upvote 0
I'm getting the same problem, has there been a solution found for this problem?

Today it told me I had walked 4.3 miles, when in fact it was only a 3.2 mile route. It was also reading my MPH way too high, at times saying I was going 5.9 miles per hour, when I was simply walking at a brisk pace.

Are there any better programs that have come about in the meantime to fix this? Or a workaround for the Cardio Trainer program? Sory for bumping an old thread, but i just searched and found the thread that most closely matched my problem. The overestimation of my path seems nearly identical (3/10 mile for every mile walked). It's a clear day today, phone was in my pocket (denim jeans). What do I have to do, strap it to the top of my head?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones