1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking for an all in one web browser

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by IHaveAnAndriod, Sep 27, 2014.

1. IHaveAnAndriod

IHaveAnAndriod Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm looking for a browser for Android that offers me the ability to save bookmarks in folder, I want it also have a download manager. A reader section, And to be able to save pages offline. Is there a secure mobile browser that does that. I would like it to be in HD and possible have a sign in and out feature so I can sync my bookmarks across devices. Anyone out there think they can help me with that?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert

Have you checked out Chrome and/or Firefox?

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Chrome does this. And practically every mobile browser I've tried that's available on Android.

4. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

I'm partial to chrome as a browser.

Secure...I think it's most secure.

Bookmarks in nested folders...yup. syncd to desktop bookmarks also.

"Download manager" -it downloads in background. Is that what a download manager is?

Save pages as Offline-you can share from chrome to other apps which might save the page offline depending on what app you share with. I share to the "Pocket" app to save pages offline.

Reader-can chrome do that? I don't think so. I also use Pocket as an rss reader. I have an ifttt recipe to forward selected rss feeds to pocket (and tag them). I have pocket set to download upon opening (if on Wi-Fi). I have tasker set to open pocket (so it downloads) at 3am every morning while I sleep. So recent items (at least up to 3am this morning) are always available to me offline. I browser then by the tag I applied and delete when done or designate as favorite to save for long term.

So in summary, I use combination of chrome and pocket to get those functions.

IHaveAnAndriod likes this.
  5. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Well-Known Member

Same here. Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, and many Android 2.x+ browsers does this for me.

6. electricpete

I don't know about the others, but Chrome doesn't save pages off-line as far as I can tell (am I incorrect on that?) That's why I mentioned sharing to a program like Pocket.

Also I took "reader" to mean programs similar to the old Google reader. Which to me would be an rss reader. On the other hand maybe op meant ebook reader. Op can you clarify?

7. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

I've just started using Maxthon as my Galaxy Tab s is a lag monster on Chrome. I've sync'd it across my phone and windows laptop and imported chrome bookmarks. Seems to do the job nicely.

8. IHaveAnAndriod

I think I'm going to download Pocket because I use chrome already as a browser, seeing as though its the native browser for the Nexus 5. I also use Firefox because it has the reader option. But I'm going to try to do what you said and use pocket. I like the feature you mentioned of it saving feeds of fine for later use. This could be helpful to me when I'm on the train and am looking for something to read. I'm curious to learn about this tag option it has it may be like how feedly rrs reader is. Feedlt let's me read post and has me categorize them. With feedly, to my knowledge I'm not able to save them for offline use. Thank you for your answer. Ill come back if I have any problems!

9. IHaveAnAndriod

OK. I've downloaded pocket and I added a few pages from Feedly (another rrs reader) The pages saved, I think. But the problem I'm having is how do I add the topics I had with Feedly to pocket and make it search and retrieve info from the site automatically without needing to shared every single page with Pocket. I'm going to do a little more exploring of the app. I'll be looking forward to your help. Thanks again for telling me about the app

Update: I have added over 30 pages to pocket and the auto feed feature is not working it keeps saying that i need to add more pages. How many pages do I need to add before the future will work?

10. cortland1998

cortland1998 Well-Known Member

Mercury Browser (Link)

11. electricpete

I send my feeds direct to Pocket, not to Feedly. I use the following IFTTT recipe to send the feed to Pocket automatically:
    https://ifttt.com/recipes/9733-add-new-items-from-an-rss-feed-to-pocket
    (to use an IFTTT recipe you have to create an account on IFTTT…. worthwhile imo because IFTTT can do a bunch... just google "best IFTTT recipes"). Also you have to set up a recipe for each RSS feed and you have to plug the web address for that RSS feed into the recipe (you have to do some googling to find the RSS address, not quite as easy as just picking it from a list in Feedly).
    That’s the way I use it. To be useful of course you have to download the RSS items on Wifi before you leave home. Pocket provides some options like hourly update. I use the option to “update when Pocket is opened”… and I have Tasker set up to open Pocket at 3AM every morning while I’m sleeping so I’ll have fairly up to date items when I leave home for the day.
    Tags are keywords that you can assign to each item added to Pocket in order to help find it when you read it. You can add them manually but that is work and not necessary. The IFTTT recipe has a place where you specify the tag for each recipe. Just use a unique tag for each RSS feed. Then when you want to read that feed you can use the tag to find all messages in the feed.

I don’t understand what you’re saying there. What type of auto feed feature are you using.. is it built into Pocket somewhere or into some other program? Post some more details and maybe we can help.

The only problem I have had is that some feed items occasionally show up partially or completely empty in Pocket because they are not compatible with the format that you’re saving. To give the best chance of capturing every single item correctly, adjust Pocket settings to uncheck “download best view” and then check BOTH options for “Always fetch article view” and “Always fetch Web view”. If something doesn't show up in one view, it's often visible in the other view.

The other thing that is mildly clunky about using Pocket this way is there is not an easy way to mark items as read. I delete items when I'm done or add a tag "keep" if I want to keep (not many). Deleting is not quite as easy as swiping... you have to to long-press and then press trash can in order to delete. It does get a little tedious doing that over and over and over. Oh well.

In the "old days" (before the sad day of July 1, 2013) I used to use NewsRob for this task but it went away with Google reader. Maybe the reason it’s a little clunky to set up and use Pocket this way is that it was not really intended to be used as an RSS reader. Maybe there are dedicated offline RSS readers that are easier to set up and use than this… I don't know because I haven’t tried any others since NewsRob. For me (now that I've got it set up), this is good enough.