1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

looking for an answer

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by chris01767, Jan 7, 2014.

1. chris01767

chris01767 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2014
    Male
    paignton uk
    hi everyone new to this so sorry in advance if this question has been answered but ive looked and cant find what im looking for is there an app that basically knows your not using phone and shuts down non essential apps bit like sleep mode but one that doesn't restrict texts and calls but shuts down internet so email client wont look for emails and other apps wont update until movement then everything comes on and updates and so on I no this is available on ios but not sure if android has similar or maybe its built in and being new cant seem to find it many thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Yeah DS Battery Saver does it :thumbup:
    Not movement activated but it will let apps check for notifications every X hours or whenever you turn the screen on

3. chris01767

chris01767 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2014
    Male
    paignton uk
    Many thanks for that just thought this would save some battery I've seen it on ios and works really well but seem to go bed on 80 per cent and wake up with 40 but most battery savers turn everything off I still need phone and texts to come through

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I can get well over 24hrs standby time with DS but i only use it when im gona be away from a charger for long.
    You should just keep the phone plugged in overnight. It does negligible harm :)

5. davoid

davoid Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    If you're rooted you can install Greenify, which I believe freezes selected apps when the phone goes to sleep. You can choose which apps are frozen so it would be ideal for you.

A good reason to root.

6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Shutting this stuff down will usually not save a worthwhile amount of power. And battery saver apps may use more power than they save. Worthless or worse for most users, useful only for special, unusual usage cases.

My stock, unrooted Nexus 4, a phone not known for good battery life, will sit in standby for about 4 days. This is with mobile data, WiFi, GPS, sync for 3 accounts, Google Drive and Dropbox all left on. My wife's Nexus 5 lasts even longer.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Out of the box JB was pretty rough on battery life, but the last JB update and Kit Kat improved it tremendously. Plus, I'm using ART instead of Dalvik (sorry op for the techno-talk, I'll explain if you'd like) which bumped it even higher.

In any case, I agree that using an app to control other apps is usually not a great idea. If you are seeing huge battery drains overnight, there is something else going on, which we'll be happy to help you sort out.

First thing you do, after leaving it on overnight, go to menu>settings>battery and let us know what the biggest consumer is. If it says Android OS, then I'd suspect that if you leave WiFi and 3/4G enabled, both signals are similar in strength and your phone spends the night resolving to one network then the other. That's a big drain for sure.

Crashdamage likes this.