1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking for an app that automaticaly backups Callendar data

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by soyo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. soyo

soyo Newbie

I will have Galaxy S4 (i9500) shortly (currently have sgs+) and I'm looking for an application that will allow me to backup the local callendar data that are written localy in the phone (not on google account) to my dropbox folder.

All I need, is an application that will either automaticaly detect I made some changes in the local callendar (like add event, delete event etc) and it will automaticaly make a backup of the callendar and copy it to a local destination path that I will define, or that will do a periodic backups in the intervals that I will define (like say every 7 days).

So once that happens (copy the backup file to a path), dropbox app will detect the change in the local structure of it's folders, and will upload the changed file to the dropbox cloud.

All in all, that will help me prevent some tragedy, in case my phone will go bust suddenly and my local data will get lost (in consequence all my hundreds, and hundreds of events written inside the local callendar).

Anybody know of an application like that?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Sign in to your Samsung account on the phone, and it will be backed up on Samsung servers. Or use Kies on a PC. If you are running Android 4+, you can use Helium.

3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Or use Google calendar that is already a part of your Google account, as it continually backs up to the cloud.

PattiCakeUS likes this.
  4. soyo

soyo Newbie

Thanks for the answer, but if I can be frank, this is not on topic.

I don't want to use google callendar. If I would, I would say so. I want to keep the functionality that I have now, so using the calendar application on my phone will not put the events in my google online callendar.

If I understand you correctly, I would have to do it a) manually, which is again not what I'm looking for, and b) you're not speaking of application on the phone per se, but rather an online account, or interaction with Kies. I'm not interested in any of those. If I understood you wrongly, please correct me.

Thanks for the answers though, I appriciate you taking the time.

Anyone else?

5. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

6. soyo

soyo Newbie

Thanks for the link, although I would liked better the name of the apps you guys know that fits the bill, since my question was very specific.

Never the less I read that thread, and the only application close to my needs that it mentions is iCal exporter which I already found before I started this thread. Unfrortunetly from what I read it doesn't provide either automatic nor scheduled backups. So it's strictly manual tool. I'm looking for an automated tool, like say... DropSync.

7. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Right! I see now how often you say here that you don't want to use Google Calendar.

8. soyo

soyo Newbie

There's no point in arguing since that would only create a huge offtopic and I don't want that. So lets say, that if that request wasn't clear enough from my first post, I appologise and hope that's clear now.

So to repeat, I'm not asking about any interaction with google calculator (online one). I'm interested only in the data stored on the phone, so the data behind the calculator application on the phone.

9. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

Can iCal exporter be automated with something like Tasker?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you've specified yourself right into an empty corner. Been there done that. Sometimes you have specific needs and wants for which no solution exists. If so, your options are:
    - Adjust your specifications, compromising until you find what will have to suffice
    - Create your own solution (if rooted, or maybe even if not, you might script it from terminal/adb shell)
    - Hire someone to create it
    - Think outside the box somehow (perhaps change your calendaring app to one that saves its data on the SD card)

10. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

To the OP. This isn't an 'app' and is not automatic, though it could be automated to some degree by Tasker I suppose, could you not use a PC calendar to sync to? What I mean is, I also do not use Google 'cloud' services for contacts and calendar (or email) but I use the Google calendar and contact accounts that get created on the phone when you set up your Google Play Store account. I then turn OFF syncing to those accounts.

I use Outlook on my PC (though you can also use Thunderbird, or just the PC MyPhoneExplorer client on its own) and use MyPhoneExplorer to sync between the phone and PC. (It'll also sync files). I use wifi to conenct and do a manual sync of the two.

Now, I know you said automatic but I look at it this way. Outlook is my master calendar/contacts database/email etc but if it all went 'Pete Tong' I have a backup of the PC files plus I have the phone copy. If I lost my phone I still have the PC copy and all I'd lose is, maybe, a few recent entries, so not much. Plus I'd probably be able to enter those from memory.

So, doesn't exactly answer your question but maybe it's made you think of different ways of looking at the issue. To automatically detect when the calendar file had changed you could maybe look at one of the file managers and see if that has the capability to check and compare file dates/sizes to infer this and then copy the calendar storage file to your Dropbox or whereever. With a PC Linux system this should be relatively easy but I'm not sure what extra hoops Android may make an app jump through. It's probably possible but it may be a lot easier just to do something slightly different to what you're asking.

Dave

11. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

I believe you are looking for DropSync. The free version only allows you to auto sync one folder from your phone to your Dropbox, while the paid version (I just bought this) allows many.

Yes, it will detect changes and upload those changes. There's more settings in the paid version than in the free version.

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I'm speaking of a service already existing on your phone. It's a Samsung service that automatically backs up the local calendar of your phone online.

If you want local, use Helium. If you get the paid version, it can do automated scheduled backups

13. soyo

soyo Newbie

In the end I found an application fitting my bill close enough. It's called My Backup, it makes backups of many things, but I cen specificaly sellect callendar only. It allows me to select the backups path, and although it does add the date to the end of the file of backup, it allows me to set how many of those backup files will be there in the destination path. So if I choose 1, it will be making backups over and over again, with new filenames, but it will always just leave the most recent one, and the rest will be deleted automaticaly, which is also a good solution on it's own, combining it with dropbox.

The only problem they have with application which they told me are planning to change, is that the restoration of the callendars can happen on either local or online callendar, and it's not determined by the user, but it happens by chance (very strange if you ask me). Second is that they backup all events local as well as online, while I would preffer only local to be backup'd, since online ones are being stored on google servers anyway.

But, all in all the application fits the bill, and when they include those 2 fix for the above issues it will fit perfectly. Thanks to all people who tried to help.

Topic can be closed.