1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking for an app to record my sons trip

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jtpryan, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jtpryan

jtpryan Member

My son is bicycling from Alaska to SF over the next couple of months. He will send me a quick text every few days to tell me where he is. I am looking for an app where I can plug in the location and date and see his trip on the map as it unfolds. Should be simple, but I can't find one. They all want to use my current location which is exactly what I DON'T want.

Anybody know of anything?

-Jim

Advertisement

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Several apps could be used in a manner SORT of what you are looking for. But I doubt any will actually work for a trip this long (as in all day riding).

He will not be near wifi for the vast majority of his trip and he will need to have GPS on the whole time. Read as: battery dies really really really fast.

The apps that could or might be of use include: Strava Cycling, Endomondo, MapMyRide, MyTracks, Nike+, Maps, etc. But they all rely on wifi info and/or GPS.

Which brings up a thought: he will be generating a LOT of power, would there be a way for him to power the phone?

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

4. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

<---
    [​IMG]

...also I enjoy bicycling, building systems with standardized connectivity/modularity (yes, really), and of course Android, so the terminology came naturally. ;)

5. divinebovine

funkylogik likes this.
  6. jtpryan

jtpryan Member

Wow, we're getting off track here. ;-)

Anyway, the problem I have is all the apps I find are actually for the bicyclist. I want one for me to track him. Something simple. He writes me with a location and I put that and the date into the app and it puts it on a map.

7. divinebovine

I wonder how Google Maps app handles custom maps. By custom maps I mean one with waypoints pinned to it and saved to the server, like this one:
    https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218306482162079312641.0004c895de421545ab457

Ok, so I have that map "bookmarked" (in this case I'm not talking about a browser bookmark but rather a Google Maps function). I went into Google Maps on my phone. Menu -> More -> My Places. Panned right to My Maps and there it was.

But that's also kind of the inverse of what you're looking for, so imagining I just got texted a location, I find that location on the map, tap it, get its menu screen, star it by tapping the star in the upper right corner, done. To make sure it was saved I went to Google Maps on a web browser on my computer, logged in, and there it was in "My Places".

That matches your description. Would it work for you?