• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for an device to device instant messaging app.

Nagrom

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Cheshire UK
Hi guys.

Is there an app out there that allows messages to be sent from one device to another when they're connected on the same wifi network.

I don't mean a normal sms app like Handcent, Chomp, or go. Rather one that will instantly display a message on the screen of one device, when sent from another.

I want to send messages to my sons wifi only tablet from my phone. While he's upstairs.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Hi guys.

Is there an app out there that allows messages to be sent from one device to another when they're connected on the same wifi network.

I don't mean a normal sms app like Handcent, Chomp, or go. Rather one that will instantly display a message on the screen of one device, when sent from another.

I want to send messages to my sons wifi only tablet from my phone. While he's upstairs.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Have you considered Kik messenger? It's an IM app that uses usernames rather than phone numbers which would be ideal for your son's wifi only tablet :)

Upvote 0
I don't want any instant messaging service. Just a very simple app that I can install on both his tablet, and my phone. I send him a message through it, and a pop up window displays the message on his tablet.

He's only 7,so I don't want him to have access to an instant messaging service for safety reasons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones