• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for app to sync folders via Wi-Fi (including deletes)

andrewilley

Nov 11, 2010
Android noob here, so sorry if this is a repeat question but after a lot of searching I've not found an answer yet which does exactly what my current software (MobSync) does with my Windows Mobile device.

What I want to do is auto-sync a podcasts folder, and its subfolders, from my PC over to my new HTC Desire-Z via Wi-Fi. I've found a few programs that appear to be able do this task fine, but I'm not sure which of them can do a full sync, i.e. including echoing deletes back to the PC.

What I need is for the software to periodically copy any new podcasts found in the PC folder over to the phone (OK, that bit is easy). However when I've listened to the podcast and deleted it from the phone's folder, I want the sync software to neatly delete the same file from the PC too.

Any suggestions from the experts here? (Without spending a fortune, naturally? :) )

Andre

Yeah, I wondered about WinAmp, as I used to use that many years ago on the PC - but their interface got rather clunky and non-standard compared to newer offerings, so I moved away from it. On the phone I've just installed PowerAMP, which seems very nice, but I could give WinAmp another try I guess.

I was kinda hoping for a really good stand-alone sync app, to keep things more flexible, but thanks for the tip though. I don't want to download or stream directly on the phone as I'll probably hit my data plan limit rather fast! LOL

Andre

Upvote 0
I was kinda hoping for a really good stand-alone sync app, to keep things more flexible, but thanks for the tip though. I don't want to download or stream directly on the phone as I'll probably hit my data plan limit rather fast! LOL
Andre
Winamp solution is interesting, but I agree with the first part above.

I'm assuming then that you don't have access to wifi at home? Listen (and others I'm sure) has an option to download on wifi only.

Upvote 0
Listen (and others I'm sure) has an option to download on wifi only.

Ah, that might do the trick then as I do have Wi-Fi at home.

I'd still prefer to leave all the downloading to the PC though if I can, as I tend to download the full feeds (including any videocasts, which I watch on the PC) but I only sync the MP3s to the phone. I'm sure there must be a neat way to do it as Android is such a popular platform.

Andre

Upvote 0
I use MediaMonkey to sync my podcasts. Instead of deleting the podcasts on my phone, I delete them through MediaMonkey on the PC and sync to the phone.

Another option if you are rooted - I use Samba Filesharing which allows the SD card to show up as a network drive over WiFi. I then use PureSync (although you should be able to use the sync app of choice) to sync some other folders.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones