1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking for certain apps :)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Jew, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Jew

Jew Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Intern for FlatRedBall making small games
    Utah
    Just got a T-Mobile G2X, and I am loving it. I now want to install some awesome apps to make it better, but what apps do you guys recommend? Here are a few things I am looking for:

• A music player app that allows me to put music into folders, ignoring artists and albums (I have a very particular way I want my songs ordered) (How do I make a playlist which could count as this I guess?)
    • A good note taking program. I am not talking about long school notes, but whenever I need to jot something down. No word limits (or a limit that is very high).
    • Calendar program that shows as a giant calendar on the desktop (can't figure out how to do this if this already exists on the phone).
    • THE BIGGEST THING THAT IS ANNOYING ME: When my phone is on silent, when I receive a text or email or something, it doesn't vibrate. I want it to vibrate. Can't figure out how to do it if I can just change a setting.
    I have looked up top lists, and came across a few apps that sound cool, like Dolphin Browser, some task stuffs (though a calendar like above with tasks would be better). Games like Angry birds (of course), Steambirds (because I now work for the people who made it, and it is actually pretty fun), and a Japanese Mahjong game (REAL Mahjong, not the matching crap!)

However, I feel this phone isn't being used on the power side of things, so what is an interesting game that can test the power of this phone?

Thanks for the help!!

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the Tax man
    Cotswolds, England
  3. Jew

Jew Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Utah
    Yes, this helps with some random apps, thanks. But the particular apps I am looking for may or may not be discussed.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Widget is the word you're looking for.

5. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    I use Player pro for music, stock memo pad for quick notes (color pad is good too), and pure calendar widget for the calendar display.

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Title changed to be more specific that you're looking for secific apps and not any apps.

I'm like that too :) PowerAmp is the only app I've tested so far that does this and sound quality is the best (imo)

That's a hard one as there are really A LOT Of notes apps on the market and different people will have different needs. Like I love my app to do everything, and got Notes Everything as it does everything I can imagine when it comes to taking notes.
    If you just want a basic note, here are some basic ones:
    Mobisle Note
    ColorNote
    AK Notepad
    Notes
    Slide Notes (slide across L to R to move from one not to another)
    ultra Notes (nice widget)

Try going into your contact setting to see if vibrate is enabled. If you can't do that (I can't with blur). Download AudioManager and you can select vibrate for 'Notification'.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
    Roze

Jew and Sombre like this.
  7. Jew

Jew Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Utah
    PowerAMP is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!! Mobisle Note is more like what I want, I just hope they get folders soon. Audio Manager still doesn't make there be any notification vibration, even if I set it to vibrate. I wounder if that is a G2X problem...

Thanks for your help!

8. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Try Bloatfreezer also, Great for disabling bloatand other apps you never use but dont want to uninstall and speeding up your phone. also great customer service. price is only $.99 also

9. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Smart Vibrator for the vibration issues.

10. Jew

Jew Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Utah
    Awesome! Thank you! I did finally find where I can turn on vibration for the texts, but it vibrates for less than a second...

Also, that bloat freeze software is another thing I was looking for. But once I root the phone, won't I just be able to uninstall a lot of that bloat software (not the system stuff though, of course)?

11. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Yea you can uninstall if your rooted, I just went with the bloatfreezer, which to me makes it easier than redownloading apps if you ever want them back, plus you can freeze the apps you rarely use and unfreeze them if you ever want to use them again.

12. droidexplorer

droidexplorer Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    What is the app name for the japanese mahjong game? I'm looking for one like that and really dislikes the matching type! :x

13. Jew

Jew Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Utah
    Well... I haven't found a perfect one, but I found one that at least works and is free.

https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.co.winlight.jannavi&feature=search_result

It is in Japanese, but as long as you know Hiragana, Katakana and some basic Kanji, you should be fine. The first problem is it doesn't seem to work over 4G (maybe even the other G's). It works fine over wifi. Kind of annoying as I want to play it while riding the bus. The next problem is the way you choose tiles. You slide your finger across, which can go slow and cause me to accidentally choose the wrong tile. Other than these kinda big problems, it works. I will keep you updated if I find a better one.

I am trying to think of an app to do over the summer so I can learn some android dev before the class. Maybe a Mahjong game? That seems a bit difficult for a first app though... How hard is it to do networking, as I think this would be the hardest part?

droidexplorer likes this.
  14. droidexplorer

droidexplorer Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    Sounds like a rather inconvenient app, but well I guess we will have to make do with what is available now.

What about finance or productivity apps? Are you looking into getting one?

15. Jew

Jew Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Utah
    No not really. I am looking for an app that will allow me to type in Japanese (and change the characters to the proper Kanji if I want to). I see a few apps that allow me to type in Japanese, but it looks like I can only type in Hiragana and Katakana...

EDIT:
    Simeji is a good Japanese character app by the look of it. I am liking it so far.